Pain post surgery?

pdxbandman
on 2/18/13 9:27 am - OR

Hi - Just getting ready for my surgery March 12th.  I have everything lined up for help around the house, meals (phase I, II, III) and have a great surgeon.  My question is what kind of pain should I expect post surgery?  How long did it take for holes to heal in belly? Thanks

horrible_monster
on 6/10/13 10:42 am, edited 6/10/13 10:43 am
VSG on 02/27/13

I didn't find the pain at the surgery site very bad, and I have a very low threshold of pain. They sent me home with the good drugs, so I was feeling great. Once I was done with the narcotics I think I only ever needed a Tylenol twice, many three times. 

THAT SAID the worst pain I have EVER experienced was in the hospital the morning after surgery. It had nothing to do with the incisions or anything like that. It was gas pain that took up residence in my shoulder and when I tried to lean backwards for a CT scan, WHOA MY GAWD. It was like someone had my clavicle between the blades of a pair of garden shears, and was bearing down. Some simethicone and pacing around the exam room eventually made it bearable. 

Overall, pain wasn't much of an issue at all. Occasional gas pain at home for the first couple weeks, including off-and-on discomfort in my shoulder--but really, nothing bad. And the pains in my belly were way less bad than my worst menstrual cramps.

Not sure what you mean about the holes healing. I can't remember how long it was before the steri-strips fell off or were pulled off. I wasn't really aware of the incisions; every time I've been back for a follow-up appointment, my surgeon or the nurse practitioner has remarked that mine healed well. 

Good luck! You're smart to be planning ahead. :)

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4314 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8571 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8094 views