I think I'm a mean girl....

JenniferRN
on 3/7/13 5:31 am - NJ
VSG on 01/22/13 with

So I have a "best friend" who is also obese.  She was disappointed that I was having surgery and said "Now I am gonna be the only fat one".  MANY of her family members have had WLS.  So she decides she will do it "the right way" and begins to lose weight (23 lbs so far). 

She keeps bragging and telling me how huge her clothes are on her, passes them down to me and they still are too small for me. We go shopping and she just keeps bragging at her size. Here is the mean girl part.... I cannot feel happy for her. I think I am jealous!

I have lost 50 lbs total and feel great but around her I feel terrible.  I should be happy for her and I am not. 

Member Services
on 3/7/13 1:18 pm - Irvine, CA

Your not a mean girl.  Those of us who struggle with obesity have so much emotional baggage that we deal with.  Keep the focus on your goals and your journey.  You can do it! 

hollykim
on 3/10/13 2:18 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Maybe mean and maybe jealous but the big thing to remember here is that YOU are going to keep your lost weight off this time if you do e right things and SHE as about a 95% chance of gaining all hers back,cause doing it " the right way" just doesn't work long term. Gl

MichiganChic
on 3/16/13 9:42 pm - MI
Maybe you are not the mean one.....
SophieNJ
on 4/10/13 8:34 am, edited 4/10/13 8:34 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

hmmm, let me ask you a question....does she seem happy for YOU??  You are doing a great job, and hey, take her clothes, so you will have something to wear on your way down, and she may need more clothes if she can't keep it off.  the "right way" did not work for me for over 40 yrs..I went from 160 to 275 trying to do it the ahem, right way.  so if having wls is the wrong way, fine, bring it on!  I was always a bit rebellious anyway!

you just worry about you...brag about your losses, your new sizes, etc...and YOU be happy for YOU!  Cause we all here, WE'RE happy for you!!!!

Sophie

HW 275 SW 246 CW 162.5  GW 150  ( 5'1"  Over 1 1/2 inch lost in the last few yrs! LOL) lost 50 lbs on my own, stable for 3 yrs, gained back 21 during year b4 surgery.

KellyElizabeth
on 5/1/13 1:57 pm

You are not a mean girl sweetheart. And why be jealous? You look fantastic!! And she knows it and sees it. You two have totally different body shapes and totally different lifestyles. I would keep accepting the clothes. Because you are going to keep losing,and it will save you money. If she cannot be happy for you, then that is something she needs to deal with and pray about. Be happy for her. She has obviously struggled with this too. Talk about this together as well. And one thing I see, you are so focused on sizes and numbers... Don't be. You look Amazing.. You feel amazing right? Plus your stylish and gorgeous... Keep up the GREAT work. Everyone is a little different in this journey.. I have a long way to go. And you are my inspiration. Love you. 

for the rest reading this.... I personally know kissJenniferRN. 

Kelly

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4314 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8573 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8095 views