Grandma wants to know has anyone suffered from Hernias after VBG??

Momma1991
on 5/26/13 1:53 pm - Hamilton, NJ
RNY on 04/08/13

My grandma had VBG over 20yrs ago has had suffered from over 6+ hernias and is currently suffering from number 6,7, and 8 hernias, they keep putting in meshes in her but they keep failing her.... has anyone suffered from recurrent hernias since having this surgery.

ssttaarrr555
on 6/30/13 9:34 pm - VA

I just found out I have a hiatal hernia when they did a upper GI. Presently trying to get a revision done. I had my VBG done back in 1992. Has your grandma try to go for a revision cause that's why I'm trying to get only if insurance will cover most of the costs. By the way I'm a grandma at 58 yrs  old too.

Linda K.
on 7/25/13 3:39 am - Omaha, NE

I had my VBG in 2003 and had hernia surgery in 2012.  My hernias were all along and around the scar tissue caused by my surgery (I had an open VBG).  My surgeon told my husband that my insides looked like swiss cheese.  I still have 2 other hernias that I hope to get repaired when I have my revision to the Duodenal Switch.  I wish your grandmother all the luck and I would suggest she talk to a good bariatric surgeon-not due to a revision but some bariatric surgeons have great skills in repairing hernias caused my weight loss surgery.

Stapler
on 6/16/15 8:53 am

I know it's been over 2 years since you've posted, but I wanted to reply anyway.

I've had many hernias since having a VBGB in 1998.  I've had 2 hernia surgeries (during the first one, the doctor noticed an old mesh, so it is likely a hernia was fixed w/o my knowledge during open gallbladder surgery).

The 2nd surgery had the doctor putting in a huge mesh to cover as much of the stomach lining as possible, as I had many tears that were visible.

I am very wary of my belly these days.  It is always tender to touch and I guard it at all times. 

I wish I could offer you some words of wisdom, but the only thing that can be done is putting in a large mesh and trying to be careful.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4319 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8578 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8099 views