Hi, everyone!!!!!

Ryan B.
on 1/14/04 10:16 am - Capitol Heights, MD
It took me a while to find the VBG forum. At first I thought there were onyly two. The DS and the RNY forum. Glad to know there's a VBG as well. The thing that makes it sad is that I'm not new to this site or the board. I've been posting on the DS board because that was the surgery that I chose. I did speak with my surgeon, Dr. Elariny in Arlington, VA, and I decided to have the VBG w/ Sleeve. My surgery date is Feb. 3, 2004. I'm really excited!! However I'm also having some minor withdrawls. Not about the actual surgery, but I was really in love with the DS, and although I really trust my surgeon, and the decision that I made I can't help thinking I need malabsorption. I'm 5'10" 315, BMI 45. I'm also 22. The main reason Dr. E suggested the VBG w/Sleeve is because I really don't have that much to lose. He was concerned with me losing too much with the DS, and that was a concern for me as well. Granted, I'm trully pleased with my decision, and I know it will work for me, I just have this little voice in the back of my mind that chants ds, ds, ds, ds, lol. Anyone here with VBG/Sleeve?
Betty V.
on 1/17/04 9:19 am - Gaithersburg, MD
Hi Ryan. I had VBG w/sleeve surgery on 3/25/03 with Dr Elinary. The decision to go with the VBG was made based on my eating habits (bloater). Like you, I was very excited and looked forward to the surgery. I'm 5'5" and was 280 #. I don't recall what DS was, but I don't have any regrets with my choice of the VBG. I am 100 lbs less today (180) and feel like I have been given a new lease on life. I'm single with two dogs and my sister who lives out of state came to stay with me for the surgery and recup. I took two weeks off from work. THe first week was basically just recovering from the surgery and the second week was a little boring for me. I was anxious to go back to work and for things to get back to normal. My incisions from the lapo surgery healed without incident. I didn't see the big weight loss until I was on solid food and eating somewhat normal meals (in May). I was an ideal patient and followed the food list from the dr and things occurred as they described. I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming surgery. Feel free to ask me any questions, I will try to answer based on my experiences.
Ryan B.
on 1/17/04 11:28 am - Capitol Heights, MD
Thank you, Betty. I really appreciate your response. I am a bloater, well 50% of me anyway, with 25% sweeter and 25% grazing. I really need to cut out the grazing part. That should like 5%, I dont' really graze. Betty, was it hrad for you to learn to eat once again? Chewing, small bites, eating slowly?
Betty V.
on 1/24/04 2:53 am - Gaithersburg, MD
It takes time. You still experience hunger like you did prior to the surgery and want to wolf your food down to satisfy the hunger. It is a learning process. If you do not chew your food they way you should or eat too much, you will vomit, so you will learn quickly what your limits are. During the week, I prepare something like a large can of tuna for lunch and just bring a portion for lunch each day. I'm mostly at my desk, so I can eat a mouthful or two, wait a little bit and then finish the portion. I ate alot of sweets (probably 25% too) prior to the surgery. Being off sugar and carbs the first few weeks has changed that completely for me. Everything tastes sickening sweet and I no longer desire the sweets. I can now admit it was an addition. Since you must concentrate on eating your targeted protein daily, you don't waste to waste your stomach space and time not eating the right things. I just went to the drs and had lab work done Monday. Last night I recieved a phone call to advise me that everything (sugar, chloesterol, etc) was perfect. My 3 & 6 month labs were also good too. Keep reading and studying the instructions from Dr E. They should have provided you with the eating plan after surgery. Just stick with that and you will be fine.
Betty V.
on 1/28/04 9:33 am - Gaithersburg, MD
Ryan, After I sent this note I remembered another thing. Before I went into surgery Dr E advised me to get a baby spoon and use that after surgery. Well, my sister was in the room with me and when I got released from the hospital, we had to go to CVS for prescriptions. My sister actually found a set of six plastic baby spoons and bought them for me. I did use them when I started eating semi-soft food and they really helped! These small spoons should help you with eating a very, very small amount. Good Luck, the day is getting closer! I know you must be excited. I could hardly sleep before my surgery.
Lisa V.
on 1/17/04 10:17 pm - Austin, TX
Hi there, I am 7 months post op, I had VBG in Houston TX w/ Dr. Harberg. My heaviest wght was 290 and I am at 194 right now.... I was in a local WL Support group and had to get out for many reasons.... one of them being that all of the people who had the DS or RNY they are all so happy about there wght loss, but they do not LOOK healthy, I think it is the malabsorption prob. I do not know, I was the only one in the group who had the VBG, I am very happy with it. I have had a few minor problems, my own stupidity, but I feel healthy and everyone says I look 10 yrs younger..... Lisa V
Joan K.
on 1/26/04 3:12 am - Hopkins, MN
Hi, Ryan! Oh, I am so glad that I got to read your posting. Now mind you, this is just my personal opinion. I am a VBG post op of two years plus. I have been able to maintain my weight loss, but I can tell you first hand.......it has been a struggle!!!! If I had to do it all over again, I would choose the DS. There is a very good reason that little voice is saying "DS, DS".....if I would have had a choice......it would be the DS. My husband had the DS surgery on August 28, 2003. He was exactly your height and weight. I look at him almost 6 months out and look at my experience. Hands down, in my opinion, GO WITH THE DS! It gives you a better quality of life and a "normal" life VS. the VBG. I hope this helps you out! Sincerely, Joan Kennedy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4314 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8571 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8094 views