VBG vs. Lap Band????

Polly S.
on 2/19/04 10:04 am - Elizabethtown, KY
Hello everyone, my name is Polly and I hope it do not sound too ignorant in asking this question. I am 24 years old and have been over weight my entire life. I am currently in the beginning stages of researching WLS. I have found lots and lots of info. on the gastric bypass, RNY, and lap-band and had definately decided on the lap band, because of the low risk involved and the fact that it can be totally reversed if you have complications...which is extremely important to me because of my age and the fact that my husband and I are newly married and have not had children yet (next 2-3 years probably). Anyway, I am just trying to find out exactly what the VBG is? Is it the same or similar to the lap-band? Is the lap-band just a type of VBG? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would really like to thoroughly research all my options before making a decision. THANKS!!! Have a Great Day!
tjfuller
on 2/22/04 11:09 pm - Pflugerville, TX
What helped me decide about the VBG is this book...it is called The Dr's Guide to Weight Loss Surgery. I found it at Barnes and Nobles. I agree with you, I decided on VBG because of the low risk and less complications. But with VBG you have to be very determined and motivated to keep with the diet and change your lifestyle. Please look up that book and ready it. It made me feel 100% better about surgery and having VBG surgery. I have my surgery next week March 3rd. Good LUCK!! Tara
Elaine-SugarLand
on 2/23/04 11:21 pm - Sugar Land, TX
HI POLLY, I HAD AN OPEN VBG ON 9-16-03. I`VE LOST 74 LBS. SO FAR, AND I`M VERY HAPPY, WITH BOTH THE SURGERY AND THE RESULT. MY BEGINNING WEIGHT WAS 222 LBS. MY WEIGHT NOW IS 148 LBS, AND MY GOAL IS 130 LBS., SO, AS YOU CAN SEE, I`M ALMOST AT GOAL. THE VBG IS CONSIDERED A RESTRICTIVE SURGERY, YOU HAVE NORMAL DIGESTION, AND ABSORPTION. THIS SURGERY IS A TOOL, FOR WEIGHT LOSS. IF YOU ONLY PUT SMALL AMOUNTS OF HEALTHY FOOD, AND VITAMINS, IN YOUR BODY, WITH WATER, EXERCISE, AND AN ALL AROUND HEALTHY LIFESTYLE, YOU WILL STAY HEALTHY, WITHOUT COMPLICATIONS. THIS SURGERY HAS CHANGED MY LIFE, BEYOND ALL OF MY HOPES AND DREAMS. I WISH YOU THE BEST, WITH WHATEVER DECISION YOU MAKE, IF I CAN ANSWER ANY OTHER QUESTIONS, FOR YOU, GO TO MY PROFILE AND E-MAIL ME. BE HAPPY. LOVE, ELAINE -74
Lisa F.
on 3/16/04 9:13 am - Port Arthur, TX
Hi Polly, To answer your question about VBG and Lap Band, the Lap Band is not a form of VBG although they are both restrictive procedures. The VBG is essentially a stomach stapling.The stomach is stapled to form a small pouch and then a mesh band is placed around a portion of the stomach to slow the emptying of the contents from the pouch.The Lap Band involves no stapling of the stomach the band forms the small pouch,the band has an inflatable lining that is filled with saline through a port in the abdomen this slows the emptying of the pouches contents.To find out more about the band visit the Lap Band forum on this site. By the way I was banded on 07/01/03 after being approved for both the band and VBG. Good Luck in your journey Lisa F
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4314 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8571 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8094 views