VBG success!!

peaches
on 3/5/04 4:05 am - southern, MN
Hi all I had my surgery on 6-03-03 when I first started this wonderful journey I weighed 360lbs. When I had my surgery I weighed 340. and now I am down to 200lbs. I concider this a big success because it has been over 25 years that I can say that I weighed that much. I would still like to loose 50lbs and I am going to everything I can to do it. I was wondering how everyone else is doing? Anyone out there have any success storys with the VBG that they would like to share it would be appreciated. I have heard so many negitive stories about the VBG that it would sure be nice to hear some good things. I sure wish more people would post on here, I go on the main board because hardly anyone posts on the VBG board, but most everyone there has had the RNY, it would be nice to hear from people who have had the VBG done. Robin
K H.
on 3/5/04 5:51 am - Letohatchee, AL
Hi, I was just wondering what negative stories you have read about the VBG? I am looking in to having surgery and I think the VBG is right for me. Why aren't more people having the VBG. I don't like the thought of my insides being all moved around. I want everything flowing in the right order. Congratulations on your success. That is so wonderful. I too wish more people would post here. There aren't many places to talk about the VBG and I want to know as much as I can so I can make the right decision.(good or bad). Thanks and congrats again. Hope to talk soon. Kathy
peaches
on 3/5/04 6:51 am - southern, MN
This is what I have heard I have heard that the VBG isn't as good in the long term because most gain their weight back, that there have been alot of problems with staple line failure, people who have had the vbg don't dump so they can still eat sweets. Now this is just my opinion but I think that no matter which surgery you don't use the tool you have been given by having the VBG or RNY or any of the other surgerys if you try to do things that you arn't suppose to do and don't follow what your DR. tells you or if you eat wrong things and don't get the proper nutritin and don't excersise you are going to gain back any weight you loose. Isn't that what got the majority of us into the problem with our weight in the first place. Some times weight gain happens because of problems with the surgery and it is not because the person did anything wrong, I know of a few people who had the surgery and about 5 or 6 years later they find that they are gaining weight and they are eating more. After having things checked out they find that the staple line has failed. I am very happy with my results from the VBG and so far have no complaints at all but I guess in the back of my mind I will always wonder if it is going to fail. I chose the VBG because I was not ready at the time to have my insides rerouted and also went by the sugestion of my surgeon, When I met with the surgeon, He went over both and wrote down the pros and cons and we dicussed each and every one and I choose to go with the VBG and my DR. said that I would to just fine and so far I think I have done GREAT. When I started this journey I weighed 360lbs I did loose 20lbs before surgery but now I am down to 200lbs in 10 months. The weight loss has slowed down now which I knew it would but I would still like to loose 50 more lbs I just hope I can do it and keep it off. I am sorry this got so long I guess I just couldn't stop rambeling Good luck to you in what ever you choose and if you would like to ask anything feel free to email me and if I can help I will. Robin
Dianne C.
on 3/6/04 12:14 pm - Fresno, Tx
I know what you mean about hearing about the bad about vbg. The bad of course being able to gain your weight back and I was told by my doc if you don't stretch your stomach out you won't gain it back.. I think with the vbg you have to take a little more responsibility but since I am 58, frankly I thought that it was the healthiest for me. We must all learn to change our lifestyles and eat more healthy. This is a committment we make when we do either surgery. Unfortunately I know some people (2) who have had rny and are not doing what their doctors told them. They have not changed that behavioral problem that has been the problem for us all. It is work, it should not be just a copout to eat and not gain weight. I had my surgery 11-17-03 and now have lost 72 pounds. I am very happy. I just lost an additional 5 pounds after being at a standstill for a few weeks but my weight loss is ahead of schedule so I don't complain. Yes I hear all about the rny being more foolproof from gaining your weight back but there is a buddhist saying that I like to say to myself quite often and that is "The greatest mistake you can make inlife is to be continually fearing you will make one. This helps keep me in balance of my diet. I am positive that I will face the challenge to keeping the weight that was so deadly to me off. Don't start off negative.
(deactivated member)
on 3/8/04 11:39 am - SHELBY, NC
Hi Robin I am so happy to hear about the great sucess you have had with the surgery thats alot of weight to have lost in 9 months. I am shceduled for surgery on April 19 and I can't wait to start my new life on the loosing side. I to had heard alot of thigs against the VBG but after studying all the types of surgery I thought this would be the right thing for me. also I am like you I go to the main message board alot I wish more people would post on this board I love to learn about people that has had the surgery I have chosen keep up the good work. tracy
Chickadee B.
on 3/9/04 12:22 pm - Port Orchard, WA
Hi! I am a newer VBG'er-- I had my surgery 12/30/03. I am 10 weeks out today and have lost 44 pounds. I too, chose this surgery because it seemed less invasive. I think that if you know that you have to eat less, and not try to out eat your staples, then VBG works. I think that the amount of failures of VBG are people who maybe have not gotten over their food issues and eventually are eating too much-- just my opinion.
Marisol C.
on 3/12/04 2:09 am - Stamford, CT
Hi Robin.. I had my VBG on August 18, 2003.. I started at 260lbs and am now and 187lbs. I'm perfectly fine with my weight loss since it has made such a tremendous difference in my entire life.. I feel wonderful.. I'm so glad that I did this and do consider it a success.. My goals prior to surgery where to down to 190lb and to be able to wear jeans that button.. and I've done both.. so i'm just estatic about the whole process.. I continue to lose although its slowed down a bit.. but I don't think i'd want to get past 160lbs.. also.. congrats on you loss..
sharon001
on 3/26/04 4:56 am - WI
Hi All, Had open vbg on 10.28.03 -- Have lost a total of 82 pounds so far. Started at 360, currently 258. Would like to lose ATLEAST another 68 pounds. Just getting over a 4-5 week plateau. Have finally started losing again! Wishing you all love and luck! Sharon 360/258/190ish
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4314 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8571 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8094 views