HAD SURGERY ON 3/9/04

Jersey Girl
on 3/14/04 11:22 pm
On 3/9/04 I went into the hospital at 475lbs expecting to have a lap rny, but once my dr got in, due to my anatomy and size he did the VGB. I am very happy he went with safety first, but I am a bit dissappointed because I was expecting something else. However, I have decided to make this work for me. I came home on 3/12/04, my 25th birthday. WOO-HOO!!! I've been drinking my water, broth, protein drinks, and sugar free popsicles and jello-o. For the past 2 days I've had wicked diarreah and stomach rumblings and painful gas. I stopped taking the pain meds after my first day home because I'm just sore and the meds didn't seem to work on that kind of pain and only made me groggy. But so far so good. Friday my drain comes out and I start my pureed diet. I would love to hear from successfull VBG'ers and any tips you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Also, any suggestions for protein drinks? I've tried Optisource and I'm drinking a chocolate soy drink now, but I'm not thrilled with either.
peaches
on 3/15/04 5:06 am - southern, MN
Alysia I had my VBG on 6-03-03, I started this at 360 lbs and now am down to 200 lbs in 9 months. the weight loss has slowed some but that is to be expected (what I hear anyway)This is the best thing I could have done.and would do it over again in a heartbeat if I had to. I wanted to have the rny but My family wasn't comfortable with how invasive the rny was, (neither was I ) and when I talked to my Dr. he said the decission was mine but He thought I would do just fine with the vbg and I have. You just have to take it one day at a time and follow what ever your Dr. tell you. Make sure you get in you water and protien. I have trouble getting in my protien and my dr wants us to get ours from food not protien drinks. Good luck on your journey and feel free to email me anytime if you have any questions I will be glad to help if I can. Robin
Susan F.
on 3/15/04 9:42 am - Jacksonville, FL
I just wanted to say good luck!!! Please keep us updated on how you are doing and how the weight is coming off. I am in the process of getting the VBG done, am waiting on the insurance to let me know but am praying every single day because I know it will be the biggest change in my life. My families prayers are with you. We wish you the best! God Bless!
Sally H.
on 3/15/04 7:21 pm - ME
YAY YOU!!!!!!! Congrats on your surgery. I started out at 477 and lost 109 pounds at last weigh in. Still long ways to go...but just take it one minute at a time hun and your going to be amazed with yourself. I haven't really found out any tips other then the water and protein thing. Walking or just movement helps so much. One thing is to always remember this is a *tool* you have to use it for what its used for. So work it girlfriend lol. I became a hermit, couldn't hardly walk without a cane, never went out shopping or wanted to be seen in public...now i can't get enough i feel so good and my self esteem has jumped from 1 to 10 in just a few months. Stick with this site...the people are wonderful here. Good luck hugssssss Sally
Dianne C.
on 3/16/04 1:20 pm - Fresno, Tx
Alysia, As Sally stated this is a tool. You must take responsibilities for your own eating behaviors and you will be okay. Don't be sad you didn't get rny. My husband didn't want me to get it either. If you are not on your toes with bad behavior you can stretch your stomach out on rny also. So you just have to learn to take control of your life and I am determined with this tool I will do that. As for protein drinks, I have been trying to eat more protein foods, though I know its easier with the drinks. I like the taste of Susan Maria's protein drinks. She is one of us and also sells wls products from Vista Vitamins. I love her protein bars tool They taste better than the usual protein bars.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4314 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8573 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8095 views