Gall Stones... I have questions... quick and painless questions...

bigdiva
on 4/1/11 1:03 pm - West Minneapolis Suburbs, MN
Hey OHers,

I was diagnosed with Gall stones.... wait for it.... YAY!... NOT!!! So I have to have another surgery soon. I do have some questions:

1. how long were you in the hospital for this surgery?
2. How long were you off work?
3. What is you pain rating on a 1-10 scale. With 10 being the worst pain.
4. Where does Bile come from once the GB is removed?

Any help would be grately appreciated.

cabcab
on 4/1/11 1:12 pm
VSG on 01/06/11 with
I had my gallbladder out when I was 27 or 28 by laparoscopy.

I went in the hospital that morning and left the next morning.  I was off work about a week.
Theabdomen pain wasn't really bad at all, I would say my VSG was more painful.  The worst part was the air that settled up in my right shoulder.  I kept getting the hiccups and it would hurt a lot.  But by the morning after surgery, that was gone.

The liver makes up for the function of the gallbladder.  I have never had any adverse effects from not having my gallbladder.  Good riddance!!  Those stones can cause some awful pain!
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

thisbe777
on 4/1/11 1:31 pm
i just had mine out last week, but had a tummy tuck at the same time, so i can't really offer anything comparable to a standalone GB procedure...

it's nice not having that pain anymore, though.....

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

caroline2622
on 4/1/11 1:32 pm - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
I have my surgery out patient.    Thursday surgery and I went back on Monday.   Maybe a 5 pain and I did not take the pain meds.  

I do notice a stronger urine smell..  I increased my liquid /water intake.   You will need to keep away from fatty and fried foods.  Cannot tell you what would happen if you did eat fats but would imagine it would be like pre gallstone symptoms.   If I eat a spicy good I get a heavy feeling and back off eating, 

Interested in hearing from others and if they have any issues.

Take care and good luck

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Aaron Baldridge
on 4/1/11 1:50 pm - GA
I had mine out a month ago (4 months after vsg surgery). I went in at 6 am and left about 7:30 pm that same day. The pain for me was terrible. I don't know why but I hurt a lot more than from my vsg. Maybe because of a different pain medicine. ??? 

Best of luck to you!

Aaron
Aaron

Surgery 10/26/2011  

Herbie55
on 4/1/11 2:06 pm - MI
I had mine out as an outpatient and was at the hospital a total of 6 hours. Had surgery on Friday and went back to work on Monday. Not much pain to speak of maybe rate it around 3-4. I believe the liver takes over alot in breaking down fat when the gall bladder is removed.
jbskaggs
on 4/1/11 2:12 pm - holt, MO
 I had my gallbladder removed outpatient didn't even need pain pills.  but if I eat something really fatty can make me have diahrea or nausea now- (which I had actually forgotten about and thought was my sleeve).

JB 
PBJ
on 4/1/11 2:13 pm
Sorry to hear about your stones....

I had mine out 3 months post op.  I had never had any GB problems before but then one day had the worst pain ever..went to ER and was admitted to the hospital.  They did surgery the next day and I stayed in overnight again .  The pain was not that bad...not as bad as the sleeve at all.  I have never had any problems not having a gb.

I was off of work for 3 weeks but that is because I have a physical job (I am a RN) and so I couldn't lift for that amt of time.

I would just get it over with..the pain of the gallstones was by far worse than the surgery pain.

Good luck to you.

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
Valerie K.
on 4/1/11 2:30 pm - Dearborn, MI
Had mine out on February 28. If I did not wait to have mine out I could have been let go in the same day. Off work 2 weeks, not much pain I would say a 2, the bile I was told goes in your intentions and I am having problems now eating any thing with alot of fat. I end up in the bathroom fast. They say this will take about 3 months for my body to adapt to not have the GB. But it is not to bad. the pain having my GB was worse.
My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

Carmelita
on 4/2/11 1:07 am, edited 4/2/11 1:15 am - Four Corners, NM
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 395 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views