Liquid Protein Supplements-Swallowing

sandy18
on 5/12/11 6:43 am - FL
Now that I have a date, and after doing all the research...I still have some questions.

My NUT said to take the first month post-op, a liquid protein supplement.  That way I could do 2 TP and be done.

My question is...how much can you swallow at a time right after surgery.  Will I be able to swallow a tablespoon at once?  If so, can I swallow the next tablespoon right away? How did you measure?

Also, she recommended the one that is 15 grams per 2TP.  So, I am assuming that I need to take this 4 times a day, right?

Proteinex or Pro-Stat 101...which is better?

Thanks
cabcab
on 5/12/11 7:36 am
VSG on 01/06/11 with
Maybe this is a silly question, but what is a TP?
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

sandy18
on 5/12/11 7:56 am - FL
 Sorry!  It's tablespoon.
Crunchy As Can Be
on 5/13/11 1:16 am - NY
I haven't found any protein shakes that measure by tablespoon, but rather by the scooper they provide in the tub of powder. Mine is soy-based and has 25gm protein per one scoop. Each scoop looks to be about 2 fluid ounces.

My nurtritionist recommended making a shake that will last all day, and then doing 3 oz three times per day for the protein intake. This is what it should contain:
2 scoops of protein powder
8-10 oz skim milk (I use skim plus for an additional 3gm protein per serving)

For my shake, this gives 61gm protein with the 8oz milk, so about 20gm protein per 3pz meal.

These shakes come out very thick though and was hard for me to tolerate yesterday (it took me over 30 minutes to choke down 3oz of it equalling 20gms protein.

Today I'm settling on a not-as-good pre-made shake with 17gm protein/110cal/3gm fat/4gm carbs except it's in 11oz, so it's taking me a lot longer (as in hours) to get down that volume. I will focus on finishing off the shake I made yesterday for lunch and dinner later on.

As far as how much the stomach can hold, I believe it's all very individual depending on your anatomy and the size of the sleeve they left you with during surgery. My surgeon told me that mine can hold about 2oz at first, which will eventually increase to about 4oz. Right now I'm taking about an ounce and waiting fiveish minutes before attempting any other liquids.

So far water goes down without a problem and I can just sip and sip and sip without feeling full, but I do feel a sense of fullness with the thicker liquids at the moment.

Hope this helps.
 ~~Emily~~

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 395 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views