6 weeks and still can't get much food or liquids down

shannonloissmith
on 7/24/11 1:27 pm
 I am almost 6 weeks out and can't get all my protein and water in because I have a feeling like there is a balloon stuck in my upper abdomen/chest area.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I have eaten 2 tablespoons of refried beans, 1/2 cup of broth, 2 tablespoons of lentils, and two small peices of chicken today.  I have had only 30 oz of water and with each drink I feel miserable.  I make myself burp but this only helps a little.  I've tried Prevacid, Gavicon, and Gas X strips.  Nothing seems to help.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.
Mag (Marguerite) P.
on 7/24/11 1:47 pm - Green Valley, AZ
Hi Shannon,
           I'm sure others will post and have an answer for you. I haven't had quite that experience but I do remember my chest feeling terrible if I swallowed too much water at once. Also if I didn't chew my food well enough. A friend gave me baby silverware. That helped me to take smaller bites. I want you to have the best recovery possible. Anyway, I'm glad you are posting. We still need to meet after you are feeling really good.          Mag    

shannonloissmith
on 7/24/11 2:10 pm
 Yes, I'd love to meet.  I was through Green Valley today, in fact.  I hope you are doing well and Thanks for your answer.
cabcab
on 7/24/11 1:58 pm
VSG on 01/06/11 with
You should talk to your surgeon.  Maybe you have a stricture or something. 
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

shannonloissmith
on 7/24/11 2:12 pm
 Thanks for the answer.  I plan on calling tomorrow.  Is a stricture the same as scar tissue?
Mag (Marguerite) P.
on 8/6/11 7:49 am - Green Valley, AZ
Shannon,
     Hope you are felling better and can eat with no problems. My life has been a bit crazy, but then who's isn't. I'm leaving for Indiana on August 23rd. Will be back on October 4th. If you PM me I can pick it up in my emails. By October we will be able to set a time to meet in Tucson.    Mag  

MediumSoon
on 7/24/11 2:11 pm - TX
I had almost no trouble after 6 weeks (unless I ate too fast). I think you should call your surgeon - sounds like something is not quite right.

bc32084
on 7/24/11 7:39 pm - VA
i am 7 weeks out and while i can hold about 2oz of food at a time, i am definetly able to eat more.  my liquids normally get close to the 64 oz as well.  the is definitely a doctor situation

SkinnyKrissy
on 7/24/11 9:06 pm - NJ
I just posted the same thing. Is your stomach making weird noises too? Maybe we are eating too fast? I have the same problem with water. I dont know what the answer is. Let me know what your doc says. I am going to call mine too.
Caligirlgina
on 7/24/11 11:33 pm - CA
Definately call your doctor. I am only 5 weeks out and I get in all my liquids and eat no problem. Please keep us updated
Gina
  1Mo(July 17, 2011) 265.1 (-28.7) Whoo hooo2Mo (Aug 17, 2011) 258.7 (-6.4) 3mo-253.5(-5.2) Finally broke a 5 week stall

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views