Office scale vs. Home

Cristina S.
on 9/22/11 12:58 am - New Britain, CT
Ok well I notice everytime I weigh myself at my surgeon's office on their digital scale it is always more than my home analog scale. I love using my home scale's number obviously because it makes me feel so much better. I will be 2 months post op on Oct. 2nd. Yesterday morning naked at home first thing in the morning I was 260! Then I go to my 1st month pre op appt. and I am 268.5..yuck. I know it is only 8 lbs. and weight fluctuates and I was clothed but it still was a dissapointment. The PA did say this was a good amount of weight loss down from 307.5.  The weight I have as my preop on my ticker is the one from the office as I did not weigh myself  or own a scale at all before surgery.

So what do you guys do? Do I buy a digital home scale? Any reccomendations. Do I only use my surgeon's weight as my official weight or home weight since I can't weigh myself every week there.

califsleevin
on 9/22/11 1:58 am - CA
Go ahead and use your home scale, as long as it is consistent with your doc's scale. We have a digtal Tanita scale for following body comp numbers as well as weight, and it is consistently 5 lb lower than my PCP's scale, which is about the weight of the clothes and shoes that I usually wear - I can usually tell the nurse what it will read before stepping on it by what I was that morning and adding five. The surgeon's Tanita has a 2 lb correction for clothes built into it (since it is used barefoot) which doesn't quite cover the weight of my clothes less shoes, but it's close enough and consistent, and is what they use for their records. I like to use the Tanita because my goals are more oriented to body composition than to raw weight, so it's easier to follow that at home than the occasional visits to the surgeon or his RN.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

laurenskapolska
on 9/22/11 2:53 am - Windsor Locks, CT
Same issue.  My scale is digital though and still less than the dr.'s.  Plus later in the day, with clothes, it's always higher.

I use my scale as a gauge and happy with it.
(deactivated member)
on 9/22/11 5:36 am - MO
Congrats you are doing wonderful with your  loss. Completely off topic. How are you doing with your protein intake.
Cristina S.
on 9/23/11 12:58 am - New Britain, CT
I was slacking but now I am doing better this week after a talk with my surgeon's office.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 152 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 427 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 445 views