10 days out

TXRJean
on 11/26/11 10:20 am - TX
I need to know if I'm going to kill myself by eating what I have.

I have pretty much stayed on the week 1 liquid diet. Wednesday afternoon I was able to add soups and yogurt. The problem is that NO matter what I swallow it hurts...just the pain of it going down I think. Nothing that I can't breathe through or stand up and have go down.

Today I went to Walmart to grocery shop for the family and I seriously almost passed out! I had to hold onto the cart and the room started spinning. My dear husband finished the  shopping and paid while I sat on a bench. He sent over some applesauce with my son which I sipped on.

For lunch all I had was about 5 sips of tomato soup and I will admit it...I ate about 3 cheese it crackers....slow, chewed them up and felt no different after doing so.

Tonight's dinner was about 1/4 cup of black bean soup and about half a cracker. I know that you're not "supposed" to have this stuff but it doesn't seem to be doing anything different to me than what all this blasted liquid does.

No tummy hurting, no gas, no constipation no nothin'. So tonight I ate about 4 small bites of turkey meat.

Am I going to kill myself or screw this up for good? I am not surviving on 200 calories a day here...which is evident by my almost passing out today in Walmart.

Paige V.
on 11/26/11 10:53 am - Gainesville, FL
ummm...just don't! You are still numb in your stomach and you have no way of knowing what is too much. If you are not getting adequate calories eat more yogurt, get baby food fruit (this is what I lived off of) do protein shakes, applesauce....

but DO NOT eat crackers now, or even the bean soups. I would think the tomatoe might even be irritating to your new tummy.

I am not trying to be mean, but by breaking all the rules at 10 days out you are not starting off to a good start.......

the first two weeks suck, very true, but you got this surgery for a reason- do not screw it up now.

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/11 10:58 am
Sounds like you're on full liquids - or supposed to be. Now, I don't have experience yet (I get sleeved in 10 days), but there is a reason why we are to stay on liquids for so long: to let our new small stomachs heal properly. By eating solids, you are putting your recovery at risk (and according to my surgeon increasing your chance for a self induced leak several fold).
Slow down. Your recovery will come. Eat a lot of greek yogurt. It has tons of protein for healing and you'll get more calories in. Also, don't forget your protein shakes. They add calories especially when you make them with milk.
You will get through this. Take it easy. Don't push yourself. Take this time to support yourself-even though it's hard as all heck!
abrown8434
on 11/26/11 10:59 am - VA
I don't think you are going to kill yourself although I will add the disclaimer that you want to follow your surgeon & nutritionist's advice as much as possible.

Now, realistically speaking, I did rush the schedule just a tad. Like, 2 or 3 days before I was suppose to go to the next stage of eating, I went to the next stage on my own. I was hungry and the full liquids were not doing the trick. I didn't see the big deal about a few days but I took it easy. I wasn't eating hamburgers or pizza or something obviously wrong, I just had pureed meats 2 or 3 days before I was officially suppose to eat them.

Try as much as possible w/your liquids to add protein and really supplement w/your protein shakes. Even 2 months out I depend on my protein shakes more now than I did in the beginning. Once you can eat meats it is easier to get protein in but you can eat even less sometimes than before.

I am more concerned about the pain you are having. Take that up w/your doctor because there may be a serious issue at hand. Take it easy. With the pain you might want to stick w/ just liquid.

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

TXRJean
on 11/26/11 11:10 am - TX
My dietician suggested the bean and tomato soups! Yikes.

I will do better at behaving. More protein shakes...ugh.
(deactivated member)
on 11/26/11 12:53 pm
Find liquids you like. All protein shakes are not the same. Try Ensure. Tastes better than some of the lower calorie ones.
Lori Marsh
on 11/26/11 1:58 pm - NY
 I too am 10 days out...congrats and relax..you CAN do this and YES it IS hard!

First get that pain checked out..doesn't sound normal...second..make sure you are drinking...dehydration is very easy to come by at this stage and can cause you to be very dizzy and to even pass out. Try sipping on some Powerade Zero (cut w/ 1/2 water) throughout the day..I do NOT like water and this is what I did. Buy some protein shakes that are pre-made. EAS carb control are the ones I use...less than 5 bucks at WalMart. I drink 1 protein shake between meals and 1 before bed...counts toward your liquid for the day too (8oz each).

Food-wise...there is nothing wrong with pureed bean and potato soup..I'd stay clear of the tomato..too much acid right now I think. My NUT told me that I can have all the beans I want. I was also told that "pureed" foods were any foods that I could puree in a blender OR mash with a fork so..therefore............I have been eating cottage cheese, poached eggs, mashed deviled eggs, egg salad, tuna salad, canned turkey chili (mild) heated and mashed with a fork, refried beans, pureed black beans made into a black bean burger and fried in a pan topped with fat free cheese and plain greek yogurt (contact me for recipe), scrambled eggs, poultry cooked in the crock pot mashed with a little gravy, mashed potatoes, applesauce, yogurt, fat free/sugar free pudding, jello, meatloaf, suateed ground turkey, ricotta cheese mixed with marina sauce and low fat mozzerella and microwaved ( tastes like lasagne), ricotta mixed with splenda and cinnamon and microwaved (warm cinnamon roll)...these are a few suggestions. This is a way of eating for life..if you don't get creative witht he foods you can have it will get very boring very soon.

Please don't be afraid to eat!! Here is a sample menu for me at this point.

B: 1 poached egg mashed w/ 1/2 t peanut butter salt and pepper
Mid-Morning: Protein Shake
L: 1/4 cup canned turkey chili heated and mashed topped w/ fat free chedder cheese
Mid-Afternoon: Protein Shake
D: 2 T chicken mashed w/ gravy-2 T mashed carrots w/ spray butter and salt and pepper-1 T cottage cheese
Evening Snack: Protein shake OR 1/2 package dannon light and fit vanilla yogurt OR 1/2 package Snack Pack chocolate pudding w/ dot of fat free sugar free ready whip

Sippin Powerade throughout the day.

Remember..you CAN do this..keep up the good job and Good Luck to you!!! 
PS: Get that pain checked out!!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/26/11 7:02 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
Egg and peanut butter??? Gotta try that....

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

mandyc1975
on 11/27/11 3:31 am - Richardson, TX
VSG on 09/20/11 with
First of all, you probably almost passed out because of dehydration. How much are you drinking? I didn't havethan 200 calories for 3 weeks. probably not more than 150. I was all clear liquid for 3 weeks. My advice is drink water. If it hurts, try cold water, or warm, see what works for you. But if it hurts to eat soft foods at this point, there is nothing wrong with going back to clear liquids. Only do what you can tollerate and if you insist on having turkey, ect..., put it in the blender and puree it.
Do not ask God to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

9/4 (pro op) 299 lbs - 9/20 (surgery day) 285 lbs - 10/4 268 lbs - 11/7 251 lbs- 12/8 239 lbs - 1/9 222 lbs - 2/7 214 lbs - 3/3 202 lbs - 3/19 194 lbs ... 9/20/2012 - 142 lbs
TXRJean
on 11/27/11 12:17 pm - TX
Thank you everyone for the great advice. I am doing better today. I have been sticking to the plan of liquids.

I gotta say though, I think every physician seems to have a different game plan when it comes to the food thing. I swear, if I could have eggs, ricotta cheese and stuff I wouldn't feel so dang hungry!

Today I drank water all day, had some hot cocoa, some potato leek soup and a protein shake. That's it. I'm starving but I'm sticking to the plan.

I did put away all of my summer clothes today and realized that I WON'T ever wear that size again! Whoo hoo!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views