Venting - no weight loss despite nearly flawless behaviors

duckheadz
on 1/31/12 11:39 pm - MN
I am so frustrated today.  I started the new year out at 201 pounds, just shy of my goal of being under 200 by the new year.  On 1/4 I hit 199.8. I was super stoked and decided to really be vigilant and get this last 40 pounds off before my 1 year mark in July.  So I started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and started training to run my first 5K by following the Couch to 5K training program of walk/run every other day. So every day I work out for 30 minutes and every other day I work out for 60, and I'm talking hard workouts with sweat pouring down into my eyes and gargling my heart, I don't phone it in.  I log every bite of food on MyFitnessPal with my daily calorie goal being 650 per day and have never gone over and I drink at least 80-100 oz or water daily.  I cut out all carbs except a small serving or two of carrots or grapefruit or oranges (to keep me regular).  I eat mainly lean meats I cook myself with no added fats and all skin/fat trimmed, eggs and cheese, I have cut out all eating out and snacking.  I have only missed 3 days of exercise since I started and have been totally vigilant.  I weighed in this morning at 199.6. Seriously?  That's a loss of 2/10 of one pound since I started.  I know muscle weighs more than fat and I definitely have lost some inches, but it is SO mentally frustrating to do so much work, eat so carefully and see NO results on the scale. I know I have improved my strength, health and fitness but I need to lose 40 more pounds, not just be more healthy, fit and strong.  So there's my vent.  I'm not going to quit, I have a few more days of the Shred to do and then I'm moving on to Ripped in 30 cuz I like Jillian and I like getting my butt handed to me in 20 minute doses.  I am going to assume that if I keep doing what I'm doing the weight HAS to come off, right? Calorie deficit.  Has to work. Right??  End Vent.  I'm off to fill my water bottle. 
VSG Surgery Date 7/18/11    19 pounds lost pre-surgery  

End of 2011 Goal - 200  
Krazydoglady
on 1/31/12 11:59 pm - FL
First you're doing great, and I bet you're measurements reflect a change.  Having said that, as much as you're exercising, I would be shooting for closer to 800 calories a day, 80-100g of protein, and push fluids.   My trainer has me drink a 25g shake (protein coffee with whey protein isolate) immediately after working out.  

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

duckheadz
on 2/1/12 12:22 am - MN
I do eat some protein right after I work, I agree that's a good plan.  I am going to definitely up my calories up to 800 and see what happens.  Thanks :) 
SuzanneR
on 2/1/12 12:02 am - Randolph, NJ
I am an RN not a doctor or nutritionist but I think you are taking in too few calories. JMHO. I would add a little fat and a little carbs and up my calories to say, 800 and try it for a week and see what happens. Your body may really be holiding on to every ounce because it is in starvation mode. Just my 2 cents. But sorry you are experiencing this after all your hard work.

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/12 12:06 am - WA
VSG on 01/05/12
This is Charles,

Dont know who jazzycatz is, but for some reason my post logged in under their name.

Charles
duckheadz
on 2/1/12 12:25 am - MN
Thanks for your input everyone.  I think I will add some whole grains in and up my calories a bit and see if things change in February. Can't hurt I guess, I really hope to lose more than .2 pounds in February, it would be nice to see a payoff again!  AAAHHHH!! :) 
jhub01821
on 2/1/12 1:20 am - billerica, MA
Hi Duck,
First off numbers are only numbers look and what your doing its awesome. Just keep it up and the numbers will follow.
howarli
on 2/1/12 2:32 am - MD
I agree, starvation mode..........up the calories a bit

jazzycatz
on 1/31/12 11:55 pm - Joppa, MD
First off let me say congratulations on your success. You are doing awesome.

Now I see you removed all carbs from your diet, my recommendation would be to bring some back in, maybe in the form of oatmeal-still has good protein, maybe some whole grain toast with breakfast. The Reason why is that carbs feed metabolism, without carbs our bodies will eat the very protein they are building to get the energy it needs to function during the day.

I know you can't follow Jillians meal plan because of stomach size, but look at her food guide and notice it is not a carb free diet.

Good luck,
Charles

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views