Stuff for the hospital and home

julestar160
on 6/6/12 11:39 pm
VSG on 06/12/12
My VSG will happen next tuesday (eeeekkkk this is really happening!!!) and I wanted to know if anyone wanted to share any words of wisdom in what to def bring with me to the hospital, and what I should buy to prepare for my new lifestyle immediatly following the procedure.

The hospital gave me a short list of things I should bring (general surgical admitting packet), but I wantd to know the real deal.

Oh, also if there are any questions I should ask wehn iget the hospital or during my stay.

TIA!

~Jules

My vlog: http://www.youtube.com/user/juleslac?feature=guide

Highest weight: 298  Surgery Weight: 291  Current Weight: 231
Weight/Inches lost by time period: M1: 24.4/10.25 M2: 12.6/10.25 M3: 9/8.25

bedazzle
on 6/6/12 11:46 pm
VSG on 04/26/12
For your stay take a robe, slippers and your toothbrush. Other then that you shouldn't need anything else. I know some people take books and laptops, etc. but you will be so busy concentrating on sleeping, walking and sipping you won't have time or energy for that stuff. As far as home get a Magic Bullet (or knock off) for mixing your protein shakes, and all your allowed dietary foods. You won't feel like going out to the store for a few days. Remember, KEEP WALKING AND SIPPING! See you on the Loser's Bench!

julestar160
on 6/7/12 12:09 am
VSG on 06/12/12
OK i have all of that... was going to bring my laptop so I could continue Vlogging since I'm there 2 nights. I'm afraid that this sipping is going to be my full time job :-P. Thanks for the info!

Daisy_Rose
on 6/7/12 12:14 am
 I tend to be a bit neurotic about taking things to the hospital since there are a lot of other sick people there and germs. SO... that said... I took only my cell phone/charger (I access internet, FB and this forum via my iPhone) and had a small container of clorox wipes.

The hospital provided a comb, toothbrush and toothpaste, which I threw away as I was leaving.  I do not want to bring anything home that could infect my house. ... told you I was neurotic about it.  

My husband took my clothes home, washed them and brought me clean clothes the day of discharge... large comfy clothes.  

Also, the most important item... he brought me a pillow for me to hold against my tummy for the pressure drive home. 

When I got home, showered, got into comfy clothes, water, SF popcicles and walk, walk, walk was the mantra for the next 2-3 days.  

Good luck!

julestar160
on 6/7/12 12:58 am
VSG on 06/12/12
No i completely get it! I'm a big of a germaphobe too, and I bought a set of PJ's specifically for the hospital - I don't want germies in my house! Good advice on the pillow!

kim032012
on 6/7/12 12:44 am
VSG on 03/20/12

First of all, good luck!  Had my wls 3/20/12 (had gastric sleeve).  I spent 1 night in the hospital.  I did not need the pj's, robe or slippers I brought, my hospital provided all that.  What I needed was my phone charger and a chap stick.  Which of course I had neither.  Your mouth is going to be so dry post op, and you're going to feel really dehydrated. All I got was a little sponge in a cup of ice to suck on until the morning after surgery to make sure I wasn't leaking. So I wish someone had told me about the chapstick.  My surgery was the best decision I ever made!  Best of luck.

Kim

julestar160
on 6/7/12 12:56 am
VSG on 06/12/12
Oh thanks I will drop a tube of blistex into my bag! it's the small things like that I wanted to hear about - Thanks so much!

AzureAurora
on 6/7/12 12:54 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
Hi There

I packed too many clothes... I ended up just using the hospital gowns. My own slippers were nice to have

Preparing ahead...
- IF you have a family cook some meals ahead so they can handle this for at least the first week.
- I also made my own chicken broth/soup and strained and froze it in 1/2 cup servings.
- Lots of sugar free popscicles on hand. Even now at 4 mos out my favorite sweet snack
- Lots of Crystal lite or your favorite sugar free water flavoring
- After two weeks ... Premier Protien is still my favorite and I drink it everyday

For the hospital....
-IPAD/cell phone and charge
- Tic Tacs your mouth will taste horrible when you wake up after surgery and you can't drink anything. I sucked on one tic tac for 4 hours dozing off and on. It made it so much better :)
- Ear Plugs - I am a light sleeper and my room was near the nurses station. I take these when ever I travel or go to the hospital

Best of luck. Wishing you a speedy recovery

Julie/Jewels

Highest 310 Start W 299 Surgery W 279 Current Weight 166.5 lbs      

julestar160
on 6/7/12 1:00 am
VSG on 06/12/12
I'm glad my shopping list is comparable to yours :-). My parents and sisters will be helping me so she'll have the broth going for me lol! Thanks for the tip on Tic Tacs :-)

~Jules

kaniac
on 6/7/12 1:03 am - TX
VSG on 06/12/12
My surgery is next Tuesday as well I so wi**** was here already. Good luck

HW: 270 SW: 234 CW: 168 GW: 150 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain