2.5 years Post-Op and life is GREAT!!

NanaDebby65
on 8/4/12 4:28 am - North Richland Hills, TX
It's really hard to believe it has been 2.5 years since my sleeve surgery. I honestly do not have one complaint. Everything is going so great it's almost scary at times.

I eat everything in moderation (yes I used that dirty word!). I no longer view any food as good or bad. It is what it is but some are definitely better choices than others. My motto is: I eat 90% on plan but am not 100% perfect.

I still weigh/measure my food religiously. I dont log my food like I did during my WL phase but I do occasionally just to make sure I'm where I want to be. I usually eat 1200-1500 calories/130-150 gr protein/80-100 gr carbs on a daily basis in maintenance. 

I can definitely eat more now than I could at 6 months. I can eat 3 oz dense protein (except chicken-its only about 2 oz at most) along with abt 1/4-1/2 cup of veggies. Sliders are a whole nother story, I can eat a ton if I allow myself.

I also have low blood sugar issues. I have to eat every 2-3 hours and before exercise to avoid a crash. I eat 5-6 times a day. Each snack/meal is 200 or less calories. I really do not count carbs much any more but I was not low carb to begin with. I do not eat carb only meals. Everything I eat starts with protein.

I do still drink 2 protein shakes a day with my nut's blessings. This was my way of upping my calories during maintenance and I love mine so I'm doing what works for me. This wasnt the case early out. I HATED protein shakes. They all made me gag. Finally found one I could tolerate about 6 mos post-op. My powder of choice is Dymatize ISO-100 Gourmet Vanilla. Add some Torani SF Chocolate syrup and a heaping tablespoon of instant coffee. YUM!!

I have recently started "toying" with some carbs to see what triggers me into binge eating. I love some crackers with my chicken/egg salad. Keebler Club Minis. I tried the original flavor and ended up eating the whole box within a couple of days. Next time I bought the same brand but in whole wheat. Those dont trigger me at all. I can eat 1 serving (17 crackers) a day and I'm not temped to eat the whole box.

Ice cream cannot be brought in my house but SF popsicles are safe (eat 3-4 daily). Tried the chocolate covered carb smart bars, those didnt work out either so they have been banned as well.

This summer has been the best on yet. I bought the family season passes to a local water park. I have spent more time in the water this summer than I have in the past 30 years. My grand girl recently declared I was the best nana ever after she and I rode every single water slide in the park. I have never rode water slides before so this was a whole new adventure for me as well and I LOVED every minute of it. 

I'm still not as active as I need to be and I'm still struggling to quit smoking. One of these days I know everything will fall into place once I get some personal issues resolved. All I can do is keep trying and eventually I will get there.

My highest weight was 228 when I started my WL journey. My lowest weight post-op was 130. I hung out at this weight for a few months and then decided I really didnt like the way I looked. I intentionally gained 5 lbs. I am very happy/comfortable with my maintenance range of 135-139. I see 135/136 regularly. When I hit 138/139 I know it's time to reign in my eating.

The one thing to remember is: your sleeve is a tool!! What you put in it is what you are going to get out of it. We are all adults, all choices are ours. What will you put in yours??

I dont have any new pics so I'm sharing ones I've already posted. I plan on a swim suit photo soon but just havent done it yet.

My happy self with my daughter Nov 2008 (228 lbs)

Most recent picture-May 2012 (130 lbs)
HW: 228/GW: 140/CW: 134    
stephanieplum
on 8/4/12 4:37 am
VSG on 06/27/12
 Thanks for sharing your story. You look great!  Did you have low blood sugar issues before surgery of after?  

NanaDebby65
on 8/4/12 4:49 am - North Richland Hills, TX

The low BS issues started about 3-4 months post-op. I was diabetic pre-op. It actually took a while to figure out what the issue was. I was dizzy/shaky and feeling like I was going to pass out especially during/after exercise. My PCP had me start monitoring my BS and sure enough I was low when the symptoms started.

It really has been an easy fix. I have to fuel my body. I have to eat every 2-3 hours and before/after exercise. I very rarily have any issues anymore. I also have to eat a high protein/fat snack before bed (usually 2 string cheese & a serving of almonds) or I wake up between 2-3 am in a crash.

I have found I have to have fuel within a hour of waking up so I drink a protein shake before I leave for work then have my breakfast a couple of hours later.

Pobearsam7
on 8/4/12 4:40 am
Wow you look great!!!

Kelly                

NanaDebby65
on 8/4/12 12:39 pm - North Richland Hills, TX
Thank you!!
(deactivated member)
on 8/4/12 5:14 am
Thanks for your story and wow!
NanaDebby65
on 8/4/12 12:40 pm - North Richland Hills, TX
Your welcome!!
happyteacher
on 8/4/12 6:25 am
 You are one cool Nana!  

I found your insight on the low blood particularly interesting, and slightly dismaying.  I have been dealing with the low blood sugar thing too, and I guess I was hoping that at some point it would resolve itself.  Perhaps not.  But, like you eating every few hours... before bed and first thing when I wake up it seems to keep it at bay very effectively.  

I absolutely adore your maintence plan- I hope that is one that I will be able to replicate!  

Thank you for posting :)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

NanaDebby65
on 8/4/12 12:25 pm - North Richland Hills, TX
The problem may still resolve it's self. I have seen some posts stating that it did. I wasnt one of the lucky ones.

It really is easy to live with. One of the hardest parts for me was reading post stating that one could go hours without eating when I was pre-op. I really thought that would be how it was. Boy was I wrong but it's ok. I've adjusted to my plan and I still lost the weight. 

You have done great so far on your journey and I wish you continued success!! 
frisco
on 8/4/12 6:55 am

So Great !!!

Love your post !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 396 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op