Revision from band to sleeve

sassyne
on 8/14/12 11:11 am - Antioch, TN
I currently have a lapband. It worked great the first year. I had a baby the 2nd year, and it's been downhill from there. It has never gotten back to a "sweet" spot. I am fed up with throwing up, not being able to eat PERIOD, and want it out. I would love to hear former bander turned sleever's stories. Is the sleeve better, do you throw up with it, the good and bad. Please let me know your experiences.
melly37
on 8/14/12 12:13 pm - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Hi there!

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your band, like so many of us did. 

I didn't have a baby, but my band got to where it wouldn't allow me to eat anything but sliders a good 70% of the time.  I finally gave up and just ate sliders. 

I got my revision in April and the I can tell you that I truly love my sleeve.  It works the way the band is SUPPOSED to work.  I have constant "restriction" but I personally, don't ever have trouble eating.  I never throw up.  I never worry if I can keep something down, even bread.

My problem has been that I ate sliders for so long, I am having trouble giving them up.  I will do good for a few weeks at a time, but then go on a carb binge for a week or so.  Issues I need to work on, and issues that are causing slow weight loss. 

So, if you can keep focused and eat dense protein and veggies, you will do great!  The sleeve is wonderful!!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

sassyne
on 8/14/12 12:37 pm - Antioch, TN
Thank you!
Scohen1975
on 8/14/12 1:09 pm - Sandy, UT
 What are sliders?
cancelsbronx
on 8/14/12 1:39 pm - Stamford, CT
Hi,

I was banded on 12/07 and had revision surgery on 7/11.  My weight loss was pretty good with the band but I had slippage and decided to go with the sleeve.  With the band I would throw up occassinally which it rarely has happened to me with the sleeve.  The downfall is that I have to take vit b12 sublingual because I was having trouble with my vit b12, the part of the stomach that they cut is what absorbs it so the regular vitamins (oral) were not enough for me.  If I had to do it all over again I would definately chose the sleeve over any of the surgeries they have out there.  I cheated a lot more with the band than with the sleeve, I think thats due to a vaulve that connects the stomache to the small intestine.  It closes once you eat dense proteins and allows you to feel fuller longer.  If you have further questions please do not hesitate to write back.

Regards,

Santos

Greg M.
on 8/14/12 2:54 pm, edited 8/13/12 9:27 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I am a revision person. I had the band and did well to start but it slipped on me twice. After two years of trying it on my own without the band, I had the sleeve. I love my sleeve...no problems, no regrets. The only thing that is true for me is that I can eat more with the sleeve than with the band so food choices are very important. You CAN defeat this surgery! You must eat dense protein first and stay away from the carbohydrates...they are the devil.

When I overate with the band is was like hitting a brick wall, my sleeve is not that way. It takes more planning, tracking and persistence on my part. I have no food in-tolerances and I can even drink a little beer (on an empty stomach) now and then.

I wish you well with your decision and feel free to write any time with questions.

Greg

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

Marshallbabe
on 8/14/12 3:59 pm
ME!!  I am you!! 

I was banded for 10 years.  Lost 85 lbs, was in a size 6 and all was fine.  THEN I tried to get pregnant using invitro.  It worked, but they had to remove the liquid from my band as for some reason the invitro meds counteracted with it and I couldn't even swallow my own saliva.

Afterwards when I had it refilled, it NEVER was the same.  It was either too tight or too lose.  I gained 60 lbs back :(

So I had a revision from band to sleeve last Tuesday.  I'm a week post-op today.

I'm still on mushy liquids, but I don't think food getting stuck is part of the package of the sleeve.  Your stomach is smaller, so you naturally eat less.

Hope that helps.

sassyne
on 8/15/12 10:10 am - Antioch, TN
Thanks Everyone! I go to start my 3 month weightloss program August 28th, which my insurance now requires. I know I DEFINETLY want the band OUT for sure. What's the point at this point. The sleeve sounds like it will be a great option.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 395 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views