Nervous, anxious, and excited

sassyne
on 11/30/12 11:52 am - Antioch, TN

I got approved for my revision from a lapband to a sleeve. I'm excited, but I'm a single parent to a 3 year old and a 16 year old. My sister, mom, and grandmother are my support system, and my sister feels that I'm doing this for cosmetic reasons. She basically said I was being selfish to my kids by having this surgery since something could go wrong and she would have to explain what happened to them. Now I'm questioning myself. I am having the surgery to be here FOR my kids, not for cosmetic purposes. My lapband was a failure, and my diabetes is back, high blood pressure back, and other issues. Did anyone here have any complications from surgery?

jenlaur1
on 11/30/12 1:04 pm - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

I can't speak about complications b/c I haven't even been scheduled for one yet.  But, my band has caused complications enough that I'm going through the process to get revised from the band to the sleeve.  Now..I know siblings and parents..loved ones/friends.  Sometimes they aren't talking with a completely unbiased opinion.  I don't know your relationship with your sister, but I have to say that you made this decision so that you'd be healthier, to feel better physically and about yourself and when you are all those, then you are there for your kids a lot more than if you were ill with complications from those conditions you mentioned. I know it's easier said than done, but you have to let your sister know how hurtful her comments are and that if she can't be supportive then she needs to be quiet about it all.  There are always risks for everything out in the world. Think about it...walking across the street..sometimes even on a sidewalk..driving in your car, flying in a plane, hiking up a mountain...just being...so why second guess yourself?  If this is what your heart tells you is the right thing, then don't let anyone have you second guessing your decisions.  Good luck.  I hope you have a safe surgery and a quick recovery and that you realize all your goals along the way to a healthier and happier you. angry

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 396 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 425 views