Home from the hospital

Gigicolorado
on 12/6/12 12:08 pm
I am not going to lie. It has bern the toughest 3 days of my life. Not really because of the changes that are coming my way as far small portions and everything that comes with the Sleeve life. Its bedn really tough because of the pain and nausea. Since I got home earlier its a constant battle to get the meds in and the liquids in order to control pain and naseau. If someone were to ask me today if I would do this again, my answer would be hell no! I know this is a great forum to get advice and uplifting words but I think its important for the people on the fence to know exactly what they are getting themselves into.
Can someone tell me when they felt like a normal perdon again with no pain and no nasuea?

MrsRigDiver
on 12/6/12 12:10 pm - TX
VSG on 01/07/13

See if you can find Bonine for the nausea. It's going to be near the dramamine but it works better and is chewable!  DH didn't really have nausea but took the Bonine just in case.

Thanks, Diana

“All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them.” –Walt Disney

Terrimarv
on 12/6/12 12:28 pm - IL
VSG on 12/04/12
I'm so, so sorry you're having such a hard time, Gigicolorado. I came home today as well, and this evening have finally decided that I'm going to live. The first couple of days in the hospital were TOUGH, more so than I had expected. Tonight at home I have turned a big corner, though, and am quite suddenly much better. Hope the same happens for you dear, and soon.
loulou1969
on 12/6/12 12:44 pm

Everyone is going to be different.  Their health, pain tolerance, healing process all play an important role in everyone's individual recovery.  I think it's important for people to hear both sides of the experience also.  I, myself, had pain the first day when getting up or down but with the morphine, it wasn't intolerable.  (I have a very high tolerance to pain, always have. ) The next day, I had nausea really bad and threw up every time I drank anything. (Pure green stomach acid)   They got my meds straightened out for nausea, and  I stopped my pain meds because I thought the morphine was increasing the nausea. My pain, unbelievable as it is, didn't get any worse when I stopped the morphine, but the nausea got a lot better.   I was up walking the halls day 2 and had my catheter pulled.   I stayed an extra day (3) to avoid dehydration due to nausea on day two.  I then walked myself out of the hospital and through the parking lot the next morning first thing  to go home and since I wasn't on pain meds, I drove the 1 1/2 hrs drive home.  I have been doing dishes, laundry, and  light duty household stuff ever since I got home with minimal pain.  I am 16 days post op now and I am back to all my normal activities, cooking, cleaning, driving, church, shopping, etc  with no major problems.   My only post op problem has been with esophagus spasms which are eliminated by antispasmodic drugs and my glucose has dropped really low a few times and I got really weak and short of breath.  I have followed my doctors diet orders to a T plus walking in the hospital and when I got home was the key to working the soreness out.  Even though it was very painful the first two days to get up and down, the more I did it, the better I felt.   I hope you feel better soon.  The liquids were and are a struggle for me.  Just because it is a constant in order to get them all in without feeling overly full or bloated.    I am glad you shared your story with everyone on here.  It gets better and better each day.  Everyone that asks me about my surgery experience is ready to jump right in to have one, thinking my surgery experience is an example of how theirs will be. Not so.  I try to explain that I have had two knee surgeries, two hand surgeries, and gallbladder surgery before and never took pain meds past the post op recovery room phase.   I am blessed with high pain tolerance.  Not everyone is.  I have heard experiences that were bad.  Not that those people were weak, whimpy, or anything like that.  It's just that their pain tolerance and individual needs may be different than others.  Everyone should look at their past experiences with injuries and surgeries and the recoveries from those to get an idea of how they will do with this or any surgery. 

texasrigdiver
on 12/6/12 1:20 pm - TX
DS on 11/29/12

I felt the same way and even commented to several people that if I knew what I know now (still in the hospital 2 days after surgery) that I wouldn't have done it.

Now, 1 week out, I'm already getting a feeling of hopefullness and the future being pretty good.

Give it a few days, I'm sure you'll feel much better, and don't go easy on the pain meds either, use them as often as you can.

"...the sun is the same in a relative way but were older, shorter of breath, and one day closer to death..." Pink Floyd 

LilySlim Weight charts

M1(22);                                        

bob-h
on 12/6/12 8:34 pm - Bad Axe, MI
VSG on 10/09/12

You just had 85 percent of your stomach ripped out of  yourself. I sure hope you didn't think you was going to go out and run a marathon right away. Give it a few days, everybody is different and you will do great. Take a look at my signature and live every day with that in your head. Good luck. Bob

Failure  IS NOT  an Option                  

vabella
on 12/6/12 10:01 pm - TX

After surgery when they sent me to my room i had no pain meds for 2 hours before they got that worked out with pharmacy.  I was very painful and I wanted my pain meds.  I understand that it is painful.  once i received my pain meds i started to walk the floor of the hospital every 1/1/2 hours. until next evening they sent me home.  I was lucky i had no nausea.   Walk, walk, walk, walk it may be uncomfortable but it will help and get better everyday if you walk.  You dont have to walk far just do it often.  The more you move the faster you will recover.   Even when you get home for the first week to 10 days walk every hour to hour and 1/2 3-5 min walk 8 house down and back that is what i did.  by my 10 th day i was not in any pain only had tenderness in my upper abdomen if i touch it or laid on it. I was tired often so rested a lot i was only on clear liquids and not protein shakes.  On my 10 day my doc released me to soft high protein foods and to start walking on my treadmill.  I walk 20 min which i do a mile.  I will slowly increase my speed and time as i feel up to it.  Do not push your self  to much only what you can handle.  You will feel tired a lot so do rest as you need to;  Im working on my 4 th week out and will be going back to work Monday.  I work at a hospital so i have a very physical job so i had to take 4 weeks to return to full duty.  I have lost 23 lbs so far and I can breath so much better know.  I had shortness of breath  with walking before and this weight loss has allowed me to breath better and im walking on a treadmill with out getting short of breath.  For me this is the best thing that i have ever done to lose weight.  Im still  early on and have more weight to get off but this has given me the tool to lose it permanently.  One day when i reach my goal weight i will be able to come off meds that cause some bad side effects.  So give it some time the first 2-3 weeks are the hardest but it does get better and remember this is a life style change.  And there will always be ups and downs through out life.  Try not to focus on the downs and look to the ups.  We all have different experiences here hope this helps you hope you fell better soon and we here at HO do care about you.  Keep us updated on how your doing.    I do hope you feel better soon and will keep you in my prayers. 

Jen

Gigicolorado
on 12/7/12 7:05 am

Thanks everyone!  Today has been better, actually able to keep liquids down easily.  On my treadmill a lot.  I could not do either in the hospital. The nausea is almost gone!   Thank goodness

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 162 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 435 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 456 views