can i eat whole wheat (1/2) cup 3 months out?

Jamesnana
on 1/19/13 2:02 pm - MA

Pasta is my weakness. Does anyone else have this problem?

Paulette
mickeymantle
on 1/19/13 2:52 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you can eat it butt it has lots of carbs and you will get a big butt lol

if you eat it you will not get enough protein , you need to eat protein first then you will not have room for more then a spoon or so of pasta

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/13 3:48 pm

Sure you can. Doesn't mean you should.

No joking, here. I want to ask some questions:

1. Is whole wheat pasta allowed on your plan? It is not on mine.

2. If pasta is your weakness, is that really a food you want to be playing with during your weight loss phase? Have you considered that giving into your weaknesses is partly what caused you to get to the point of needing WLS?

3. Why do you really want the pasta? What need is it going to fill?

I get that you miss pasta. Most of us have foods that we miss. There really will be nothing you can't eat once you have lost all your weight and you are in maintenance. Perhaps you can tell yourself that pasta will be okay, but first you need to lose all your weight.

Maintenance is the best time to introduce foods like pasta that have very little nutritional value for you. Heck, you may find you don't like it much anymore once you try it. I used to love pasta, but now after a year + without it, I've tried it a few times and it just holds no appeal for me any longer. I am perfectly happy to leave pasta for an extra bite or two of protein!

SuzyNZ
on 1/19/13 3:55 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
I was a HUGE pasta eater before surgery (literally!) and I satisfy my macaroni cheese craving by having cauliflower with cheese sauce on it. I actually now think I really liked the cheese sauce better than the macaroni!...lol

Now I just need to figure out how many other things I can put cheese sauce on!....

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Nancybefree
on 1/19/13 9:12 pm, edited 1/20/13 5:28 am
VSG on 11/21/12

If pasta is truly your weakness, IMVHO you should avoid it completely while you're in the WL stage. 

Here are some numbers from MFP which bear out what you've already been told by previous posters:

Great Value - Whole Wheat Rotini - Pasta  [serving size is the 1/2 cup that you propose to eat]

Calories     105     Sodium     0 mg
Total Fat     1 g     Potassium     105 mg
Saturated     0 g     Total Carbs     21 g
Polyunsaturated     0 g     Dietary Fiber     3 g
Monounsaturated     1 g     Sugars     1 g
Trans     0 g     Protein     4 g
Cholesterol     0 mg           
Vitamin A     0%     Calcium     1%
Vitamin C     0%     Iron     5%

The numbers I personally zone in on are calories (105), fat (1g), carbs (21g, which IMVHO is huge for such a relatively small amount of food) and protein (4g, which isn't much considering it is all or most of a meal capacity for you.)

To me it's not worth it to take up that much room in my sleeve by eating a food which delivers relatively little protein but which hikes my carb count up greatly.

Besides, if pasta is your weakness, are you positive you could stop at eating a 1/2 cup serving?  How many servings a day or week would you plan to eat? 

Not trying to beat you up on this at all, believe me, but just trying to lay some facts and think-it-overs before you so that you can make an informed choice.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Rouxful
on 1/19/13 9:16 pm

You can, just like I could eat Pizzat a one month out. As they've said, it doesn't mean you should. Yeah, you only eat small amounts, but the trick is eating small amounts of the right stuff. Go grab a chicken breast.

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

karismommy231
on 1/19/13 10:53 pm
VSG on 11/05/12
No! I gave up on thinking I could have pasta or bread again. Esp pasta. Maybe good high fiber bread or crackers in maintenance. Your daily goal of protein doesnt leave much room for it.

Have you tried spaghetti squash as a substitute? Or cauliflower? Both of those veggies can mimic pasta or rice. GL!!

HW: 235, SW: 227, CW: 152.0, 83 lbs lost since 10/22/12 --Fear less, hope more, eat less, chew more, whine less, breathe more, talk less, say more, hate less, love more, and good things will be yours.

califsleevin
on 1/19/13 11:51 pm - CA

As others have noted, if it is a weakness of yours, then you should probably address that problem rather than feed it. There's generally no compatibility issue with pasta and the sleeve, but rather a matter of individual dietary need. I had pasta rarely during loss, and it was mostly incidental - what was already in a dish that was served, like a casserole or soup. My favorite substitute for Italian dishes is lightly sautéed pepper and onion strips

When I needed to add more complex carb to my diet after about four months, the whole grain pastas would have been appropriate but whole grain bread was more convenient for the application so that's what I used.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Kelly-AnneH
on 1/20/13 1:38 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
While you possibly CAN eat that much pasta at 3 months out, I wouldn't - and I'm normally the one saying that a bit of whole grains is ok.

The reasons?
1. Your job is to get in your water, then your protein, then stay within your calories. The chance of getting in all of your protein while staying within your calories is very low if you're using up a whole meal with pasta. (You won't be able to fit in anything else)
2. You said it yourself - pasta is your weakness. Do you really want to go there?

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

ruggie
on 1/20/13 3:13 am - Sacramento, CA

Don't eat your trigger foods.

Besides, it's almost all carb, you won't get good restriction and it'll be much easier to overeat.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views