shakey/low blood sugar feeling?

Flo75
on 6/17/13 2:23 pm
VSG on 02/29/12
Hello. I hope someone knows what is going on with me. I've been to the doctor a few times and they don't find a problem.
I occasionally get this shaky feeling. I feel like maybe i need or am lacking sugar. Or maybe I'm just hungry. .?
Not sure but when this happens i turn to sugar foods or Glucose tabs and smar****er (a friend said electrolytes may help)
Sometimes these help the feeling to pass other times i just have to wait it out.
Anyone else experience this?
Its really starting to scare me
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
mickeymantle
on 6/17/13 3:11 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

have you checked you sugar and blood pressure , are you drinking enough , any of these will make youe shakey

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Flo75
on 6/18/13 12:57 am
VSG on 02/29/12
Yes I've gone to the doctor a few times and all tests come back normal.
Sleeveless
on 6/17/13 5:20 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

It certainly sounds like you're having episodes of hypoglycemia. Have your doctors tested your blood sugar? 

I was diabetic for 18 years until I went into remission because of my VSG, so I think I'm familiar with the feeling you're describing. It's no fun!

Flo75
on 6/18/13 12:57 am
VSG on 02/29/12
Yes, a few times now.
Grantus
on 6/17/13 9:32 pm

I've had times when I've had low blood pressure after losing all this weight. I sometimes get dizzy when I stand up too quickly, although it passes quickly. My doc basically said not to worry, don't stand up so fast. enlightened

Maybe that's different than what you're feeling. There is also a point where you don't eat enough carbs.

Grace J.
on 6/17/13 10:22 pm - Springfield, MO

I have the same problem.  Over the years I have determined when I start feeling like that I have to eat high protein food.  I find I get this problem when I'm eating more carbs than proteins. So next time it happens, or if you can feel it coming on, grab a piece of cheese or an egg or some greek yogurt or a protein drink.  I think you will find it goes away.  If it doesn't please let me know so I can quit giving this advise.  Good luck, hope it works for you,

Grace

Keith L.
on 6/17/13 10:56 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

You could be hyperglycemic, but I think if you just ignore it you will be fine once you get used to a high protein, high fat, low carb diet. If you are eating low fat, stop. Doctors tell their patients to eat low fat, what they really mean is eat low saturated fat (except coconut oil), replace your carbs and sugars with healthy omega 3 fats from fish, almonds, avocados, etc.

Try eating some full fat yogurt (no sugar added/no fruit) when you get shaky like that, you don't need actual sugar to deal with low blood sugar. The idea is to get your insulin leveled off and keep it there and don't let it spike. All of those symptoms will go away.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

NanaDebby65
on 6/18/13 10:49 am - North Richland Hills, TX

Keith, I honestly would not tell someone to ignore hypoglycemic episodes. You do realize if a person's blood sugar drops too low they can have seizures or die, right?  Being hypoglycemic myself for 3+ years post-op now, I have found the only way to not crash is to eat ever 2-3 hours every single day.

I do eat high protein/fat/moderate carbs (less than 80 per day), but my body does not adjust to this type diet and the symptoms magically disappear. This is an ongoing daily issue that cannot be ignored and it appears this will be a for life situation.

I have read your posts from time to time and I realize you try to be helpful however I dont agree with your "advice" on this one. Please dont ever recommend someone ignore a medical issue such as this. I'm not trying to be mean or rude, I'm just calling this one as I see it.

HW: 228/GW: 140/CW: 134    
Keith L.
on 6/18/13 11:54 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
You make very good and valid points. I am not a doctor or a nutritionist. I also assumed if she was posting here instead of speaking to her doctor she was speaking of an isolated incident stemming from years of eating like typical overweight people do and now eating low carb. Low blood sugar and hypoglycemic type symptoms are certainly a possibility and if they are happening once in a while and they go away, probably not worth a doctor visit. What I should have said was if they continue or worsen to call a doctor. My apologies.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 399 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views