Terrible leg cramps, especially at night

christine500
on 7/18/13 1:18 am

I started the low carb pre-op diet.  Is this a side effect?  I did years of atkins, but don't remember if I had problems with that.

datachick
on 7/18/13 1:31 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Don't know, but my wife and I started taking Magnesium before bed and it ended our leg cramps and restless leg syndrome.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/13 1:35 am

Potassium is the usual culprit. Make sure you are getting enough and they will go away.

AmyInOrlando
on 7/18/13 1:57 am - Orlando, FL

My guess is you're lacking Potassium...

mickeymantle
on 7/18/13 1:57 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

eat some banana  

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

gonersmom
on 7/18/13 2:34 am
Try drinking tonic water for leg issues....cramps, jumping, restless leg syndrome, etc. It is the quinine in the tonic that has been an age long cure for these issues. Magnesium and Potassium that others have mentioned also can be a part of the issues, but I can honestly say that after my husband hear this on the John Tesch Radio Show about a year ago our lives have been so much better!! We both use it.....restless legs for me, and cramping/jerking of his legs has just about been eliminated! There are some leg cramp pills available through Walmart that work fairly well too, but while I don't care for the taste of tonic water, on a hot day it is quite refreshing with a twist of lime or lemon. And of all the 'diet' drinks out there, the diet tonic is the only one my husband willingly drinks if I don't have the 'regular' for him.

Best wishes in this journey.

Let me help you with bariatric friendly cooking.  www.pamperedchef.biz/gawnecooking
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 396 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 425 views