Awful Protein Drink: my nutritionist warned me, but I didn't listen!

Jus1nita
on 9/26/13 6:10 pm - TX
VSG on 09/23/13
I purchased three cases of OptiSource because it was covered under by insurance, which is great but I can no longer tolerate the taste after surgery! It only came in two flavors.... caramel and strawberry! Well, the strawberry tastes like pepto-bismal, and the jury is still out on the caramel. LOL. All I know is that it's awful and I don't know what to do with the three cases of protein I can't use. Ugh! Just thinking about the flavor makes me want to puke, which I already have! LOL

claimmaster
on 9/26/13 6:55 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

Yeah, your tastes tend to change after surgery.  One of the protein brands I loved before makes me nauseaus now, and most liquids that I liked before I can't stomach anymore.  I was lucky and found a taker for all the tubs and cases of drinks I had.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

TexasTerritory
on 9/26/13 7:09 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I have a tub of protein~Isopure~~ I am thinking of taking it to the food bank~~ is that bad? I am unsure. But maybe someone needs it????😳

Bufflehead
on 9/26/13 8:09 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

If you have a surgery support group that you attend, you might take it there. That's what I'm planning to do with some leftover tubs of protein that I have. I think the pre-ops and immediate post-ops can make use of it.

Jus1nita
on 9/26/13 9:18 pm - TX
VSG on 09/23/13
That's a good idea Buffledhead or I could hang onto it and when I bump up to eating solids, I can use it as a smoothie base blended with fruit might change the taste. I'll figure something out since it's free through my insurance.

cajunlady1958
on 9/26/13 11:29 pm - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
i would love to take your isopure. could you ship it to me and i will refund your shipping cost?

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

TexasTerritory
on 9/27/13 12:10 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Yes!
PM me I will gladly give it to you! Awesome

great.lakes.girl.
on 9/27/13 4:49 am
I think that may be a good idea! I wish I had thought of that before I tossed mine out.
katym
on 9/26/13 7:46 pm - PA

Hi Just1nita,

I completely sympathize about your protein tasting awful, but it is not all about the protein. Some of the issue is probably a normal stage in your recovery. 

Most of us experience our taste changing after surgery. Sometimes everything tastes awful for a few days as your body goes into ketosis. I remember that in the first month after surgery I was extremely sensitive to artificial sweeteners. (I swore I could smell them from a room away.) The only way I could keep from gagging as I drank was to dilute my protein drinks with extra water, and literally hold my nose.

Like you I was cursing my own efficiency & bargain shopping as I stared at a row of protein supplements I had bought ahead of time. Ultimately my sensitivity lessened and I used all of that protein without too much hardship--even reordered some! 

Good luck in your journey. The first month can be uncomfortable but the results are really worth it.

all the best, Katy 

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

grayC
on 9/26/13 9:49 pm
VSG on 05/01/13
Try returning it...
All my unused cases of isopure vitamin shoppe took back
And gave me a store credit...
They also took back an open tub of protein powder when I returned is saying it was hideous!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 396 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views