when to call Dr?

saravmf
on 2/11/14 3:14 pm - Canada

I am only a week out and I just wanted to double check with others with experience to see if what I'm going through is normal. My surgeon isn't the involved type and even though I had seen him 3 times before surgery, still asked me on the table right before if we had met before or not. He doesn't really deal with any of the details of food intake/weight loss goals etc and seems as if he's just there to cut and make sure there are no complications. I'm not sure if I should be going to his assistant for help or if this is more a question for the nutritionist who I met once and who have me the food plan...

I have been having a hard time getting to any of the recommended minimums that were given to me. I have pain in my sternum area with most things I swallow that are remotely cold or no****er based. I am supposed to be doing full liquids, but I can't get down the muscle milk shakes I had preop, so I just make a watery drink with protein powder that is lukewarm. It's pretty disgusting and usually takes me all day till 2-3pm to finish the 8oz. Then, I might have 1/2 cup of some creamy soup for dinner, but that hurts for most bites and takes about an hour to get down. Then, at night I usually have a cup of broth (sometimes unjury chicken, if I can stand it). I have been so focused on trying to get enough protein, that I don't tend to get more than 32oz of warm herbal tea a day, which seems to be the only water I can get down. 

I'm averaging 300 calories max a day and around 40g protein on a good day. I'm thirsty ALL THE TIME, and can't seem to get down most of what is suggested. They say, 70g protein, 600-800 calories, milk based shakes, soups with added protein powder, yogurt, cream of wheat etc. I hurt anytime I try those things, so I stick to mainly water based stuff. 

My question is: is this all pretty normal for only a week out? I know many others are still only on broth after surgery and go to full fluids later, so I would be on par with those requirements. I'm worried about getting dehydrated, since I can't drink water and if I only drink tea all day, I'll be to full for any food at all, since I'm only able to get around 300 now. 

Sorry for the rambling, but I just don't know what to focus on more;  water, calories, or protein. Any imput would be greatly appreciated. 

HW:334PreopW:304SW:276CW:195 Mth1:24 Mth2:15 Mth3:12 Mth4:10 Mth5:10 Mth6:5 Mth7:10 Mth8:4 Mth9:6 Mth10:7 Mth 11:4

mkvand
on 2/11/14 3:58 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

Yes, this is normal.  Everything is still swollen, and it will get easier over time.  Your priorities should be water, then protein, because people can survive for weeks without food, but only a few days without liquids.  Also, you can mix unflavored protein powder into your tea (it's not tasteless, so make sure it's a flavorful tea).  Try different temps of liquids to see what works best for you--I found warm liquids worked better.  I'm six weeks out and still struggling to make my liquid and protein goals.  I think I've accomplished it twice.

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

The_True_KayD
on 2/11/14 10:44 pm

yes. The sternum discomfort is the diaphram. They stretch that out when they put the tube down your throat. I had that and it went away within 10 days after surgery. Your body needs to heal so it will give you aches and pain! Be patient. Drink water and do your best with the protein. Every week it gets easier to get in the protein. 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

Chrissy W.
on 2/12/14 12:11 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

The discomfort in your sternum could be esophageal spasms, especially given that it is triggered when you drink something cold. Your surgeon (or your PCP, if the surgeon is as hands-off as you say) can prescribe something to stop the spasms. I took Levsin and would have been lost without it. I seriously doubt it's the diaphragm, considering how the pain is triggered. 

Also, you are very normal with the problems that you are having getting all of your protein/water. Things will get easier in month 2. Month 1 is really about healing and moving through the food stages. I had problems getting my water for a LONG time. It will get easier sooner than you think. 

Best of luck, hon. Take care of yourself. 

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

Scribbler
on 2/12/14 1:00 am

Your food plan sounds like mine: hellish. The nurses have been pushing milk and cream of wheat - two things that are (1) high carb, and (2) I have sensitivities to. My surgeon leaves the aftercare to his team; he only cuts. He's a good cutter, but that is clearly all he's interested in doing. I'm having difficulty with nutrition myself, and hope that my body is strong enough to make it for a month on minimal nutrition before I hit the puree/actual food stages. Hang in there, body.

I have had good luck with the fluids - I make unsweetened herbal tea, and drink that warm all day. Otherwise, I'd be having trouble with my fluid intake, too.

I feel your pain. Focus on water first, I suppose. And hang in there - it can only get better, right?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views