Anyone familiar with The Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman? Go there or Mexico?

Sammy D.
on 7/28/14 5:14 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

Hello,

I'm Sammy, I have decided to take charge and get this weight off of me. After much research, I decided the VSG was right for me, as the thought of rerouting the intestines is not for me. I was originally favoring the Lap Band, but with my lifestyle always busy at work, I felt it was just too much maintenance for me with all the fills and all.

Considering my work insurance does not cover any type of bariatric surgery regardless of medical necessity, I was looking into going to Mexico for surgery. After several weeks of research I had a doctor picked out and all but began the financial process. Many friends and family supportive of surgery were down right terrified of me going to Mexico to have it done (I think it is down right absurd that any American should have to even think about having surgery abroad, but that's another rant for another time). Though, I have not taken Mexico off the table just yet I found what appears to be a real good package deal for self payers in my home state of NC.

The company is called The Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman. The doctor is T. Ryan Heider, and the surgeries are performed at Lake Norman Regional Medical Center in Mooresville, NC (near Charlotte). The deal is $17k all inclusive package, including full coverage Bliss Insurance, and Pre Op Diet. Prices are lower for people with BMI Less than 40, and since my BMI is roughly 64 I was quoted the highest package.

I hear that many folk who were originally looking into Mexico and decided against it, used this facility and doctor.

I was wondering if anyone is willing to share their experiences with Dr. Heider, LNRMC, and TCSWLLN? I'd sure love to hear how the experiences went. Don't be afraid to include both positives and negatives, as I want to know really how this place is.

Also, does anyone know his technique? I'm curious to know if Dr. Heider will suture the entire staple line, or just junctions, or use metal clips.

Thanks for any input and advice,

Sammy

downhome
on 7/28/14 7:22 am

Edmond,oklahoma $10,000

mawdebo
on 7/28/14 4:40 pm

I am not familiar with them.. I had VSG in 2007.. Started out 257 got to 170 in just few months. I had mine in Baton Rouge la . I am now going to have a revision. I'm back to 210 not the sleeves fault ..but mine. I will be going to Tijuana Mexico.. Not only is it 4500.00 but they are good.. Dr. Valenzuela.. She performed my husbands and my niece.. She also performed some friends of mine. I went with my husband and my niece.Both times were great..doctors ,nurses staff and clean. They have it going on for sure. I know its cheaper but I felt like they took better care of them than I got and my mother and daughter got her in the states... That's bad to say but it's the trueth.. Just in conversation with them when I was there with my husband they helped me with some issues that could not get done at home.. O and the Hotel Marriott was great also. The driver we had every time same one and he was great. I just wanted to share my experience . Hope that's ok

My first goal 

mawdebo
on 7/28/14 4:49 pm

I wanted to add after my husbands surgery after we made it back to hotel we got out and walked down street to grocery store looked at scenery. After my nieces surgery we went shopping.It was nice getting out...

My first goal 

susan88
on 7/28/14 7:12 pm
VSG on 08/08/14 with

Hi Sammy,

I have not heard anything about this center.  I am headed to Tijuana for VSG surgery on the Aug 8th with Dr. Lopez.  I have read and heard nothing but positive experience with him.  I had numerous  referrals and did my homework.  I too have had to ignore and/or overcome all of my family's objections.  Not only is it significantly less expensive, the surgeons are just as good and the quality of care is excellent. I agree that it is unfortunate that we have to leave the country to receive affordable care.  For me, this is the only affordable option.  It is sad that costs are double/triple in the US.

Good luck in your selection.  I will let you know my experience in 2 weeks.

Susan

mawdebo
on 7/29/14 1:58 am

Susan will you be at the MI Hospital

My first goal 

susan88
on 7/29/14 2:29 am
VSG on 08/08/14 with

Yes "mawdebo", I will be at MI Hospital.  Getting nervous but excited.   That is where you were, correct?

Debbie124
on 8/3/14 11:20 pm - SC

I had VSG surgery with Dr. Heider on 2/4/13 and lost 110 lbs.  He is very through and several of his staff members have also had the VSG. I highly recommend his practice and the hospital.  I couldn't have asked for better care.  To my knowledge he sutures the entire staple line. He does a very tight VSG so you have good restriction.   I have not have any problems at all and have not been hungry since 2/3/13!!

Hope this helps and good luck.  I don't think that you will go wrong with Dr. Heider and Lake Norman Medical Center.

Debbie

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 308 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 355 views