Lower body lift after VSG pics

Ariana_Rose
on 12/27/14 10:10 pm, edited 12/27/14 10:12 pm - NJ
VSG on 07/06/11 with

Hi all. It's been quite a while since I've posted on this forum. I'm 6 days post lbl after having lost 145 pounds with my VSG. I was sleeved on 7/6/2011 and maintained my weight loss for almost two years before deciding to finally go in for plastics. It was not a decision that was easily made but I realized that I worked incredibly hard and deserved to look my best - not like a sharpei puppy. 

My Lbl was done by Dr. Robert Zubowski on 12/22. It was originally supposed to take between 6.5 and 7 hours but ended up taking only 5.5. I was in a surgical center, not a hospital and I stayed over one night. The following morning I was discharged with instructions on how to handle my drains (I have four) and what to expect for the coming few days. I have to say that I over estimated the pain I would be in. It was not as bad as I had originally anticipated and I'm glad that it wasn't the opposite way around. I'm not saying it was pain free or easy just better than expected. I stopped taking my painkiller one day after surgery and switched over to Tylenol simply because the side effects were too much to handle. 

All in all they removed 18 pounds of excess skin from my stomach and hips. This is the reason we actually decide on an lbl instead of just regular tummy tuck. My PS believed he would have achieve more success and aesthetics by doing the full lbl. For the first time in my life I can see my hip bones (who knew they even existed under all that). I can not speak highly enough or say enough good things about my surgeon and I would highly recommend him to anyone.

There photos are in order. The first from 2011 before I had my VSG. The double picture is from the night before surgery and next to that is immediately following surgery (approx 2 hours after). The pictures where I am dressed are from Christmas Eve. According to my PS I will tighten up and flatten out even more over the course of the next three months. For anyone who is wondering my weight going into my VSG was 359 (last recorded though it could have been slightly higher as it was taken one week prior to surgery). Weight at plastics was 218. Weight  today is 196. And for those wondering sizes - pre VSG I was a 24. Pre PS I was a 14/16 in pants and the pants in the picture im wearing post lbl are a medium or a size 8/10

photo before.jpg

photo imagejpg6_zps2b275e96.jpg

photo imagejpg1_zps3a3ad157.jpg

photo imagejpg4_zps334a93d9.jpg

photo imagejpg5_zpse5f84ed5.jpg

photo imagejpg3_zps75ee1ff3.jpg

"Nothing great is ever achieved without much enduring." - St. Catherine of Sienna

Wildnwonderful
on 12/27/14 10:16 pm

You look amazing!! Love the pants too!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 12/27/14 10:36 pm - MI

Way to go! Looking awesome and hope you recover quickly!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Beth Of Fletchair
on 12/27/14 10:45 pm
with

Fantastic!  I'm really happy for you.  Look at what you have achieved with your brave decisions and hard work.  You are a real inspiration for me and I want to thank you for sharing this.  Can you tell us how long your recovery will be?  How soon you can drive and bend?  It's encouraging to hear that the pain was less than anticipated.  Were you advised to wait 2 years?  Did your insurance pay for any of it?

Please keep us posted on your progress and best of luck on your recovery! 

Ariana_Rose
on 12/27/14 10:56 pm, edited 12/27/14 10:59 pm - NJ
VSG on 07/06/11 with

Recovery is well on its way. I'm unable to shower until my drains come out - usually 7 to 10 days but I was able to sponge bathe and put my head in a sink to wash my hair. I was up and walking 12 hours after surgery. It would have been sooner but I was staying over night so they kept my cath in until I left the next morning. After that, I was instructed to walk and move as much as possible to reduce the risk of PE and DVT. I was able to drive once I was off the pain medication though I haven't yet - the drains are in the way. I can stand (almost straight) now and can almost bend all the way over at the hips. I shaved my legs yesterday so bending is doable. I will be going back to work on January 27 which gave me 5 full weeks off. It will take 3 full months to see the final results as things will continue to tighten up. I was not advised to wait 2 years but it's a general guideline of 12-24 months of maintained weight loss within 2-5 pounds. Insurance covered NOTHING. What a shame - you lose weight to get healthy and they don't even care that you can't lead a normal life due to excess skin. It came to $16,000 all costs included - this means anesthesiologist, pre and post op appointments, overnight stay, 3 one hour-long massages and medications.  

Please note that my incision goes all the way around my body and connects as the top of my butt. i should also note that I'm still swollen and that will go down around the 3 month mark. The vertical blue lines that you see are from the markings he made prior to surgery. The horizontal incision is not actually the incision, it is the glue and tape the use to close the outside. I have no visible stitches aside from where my drains are being held. All stitches are internal. 

photo imagejpg1_zpsc7e49f68.jpg

"Nothing great is ever achieved without much enduring." - St. Catherine of Sienna

Beth Of Fletchair
on 12/27/14 11:43 pm
with

Thanks for the information.  Are you allowed to lift things or do you have a limit?  (sorry I'm asking so many questions).  I am wondering how long I will actually need to take off work.  I work with small dogs (under 20 lbs) and I occasionally have to lift them.  What do you think?

Ariana_Rose
on 12/27/14 11:55 pm - NJ
VSG on 07/06/11 with

I'm not allowed to lift for atleast four weeks. Especially not things over 10 pounds. 

BrendaRae
on 12/27/14 10:45 pm
VSG on 01/13/15

Gosh that looks painful... how bad is it? I know im going to need one when I lose all my weight... you are an inspiration.. You look fantastic!

MegZorar
on 12/28/14 12:08 am

Thank you so much for sharing. VERY inspiring and helpful. 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 12/28/14 1:24 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Simply amazing 

It looks like your PS does phenomenal work.  I can't wait to hear about your progress down the road. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 165 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 441 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views