It is about time I introduce myself

queenlala_bee
on 6/8/11 3:30 pm - Port Orchard, WA
 Hello all, my name is Laura.  Though I have lurked around here since Feb 2011 I have yet to post.  I thought it was about time I did.  

I have been going through a medically supervised weight loss program through Swedish Med Ctr, I have successfully lost almost 30lbs during the program in addition to the close to 20 I had shed just prior to entering the program.  Well request for approval to have a Lap RNY was submitted last week and I recieved the word today that I have been approved!  I will be calling tomorrow and setting a date.

I am of course very nervous and excited.  I am an RN and have taken care of WLS patients so I think I have a good idea of the risks, benefits and possible complications... but somehow it is a bit surreal to be on the other end of things.

I have not joined a support groups as of yet and was wondering if I could get some advice from some of you.  Should I look for one close to where I will be having surgery in Seattle where I might get to know other patients that know my surgeon, or find a support group closer to where I live, in Port Orchard (Kitsap County)?  What kinds of things should I be doing now to plan for the big day, what can I do to make this transistion easier?

Any advice would be appreciated and welcomed. 

-Laura

KelleeMatlock
on 6/8/11 4:11 pm - Tacoma, WA
Hi Laura,
I am Kellee Matlock, I had lived in Port Orchard for almost 30 years, I live in Tacoma now.
Le Garmache Catering on Bay st. has a support group. I would go to one close to home, that way you aren't driving to far and you never know who may be in the group!
he group meets the 3rd wednesday of the month from 6-8pm at 1327 Bay st. and you can call them at 360-895-0602.
I will be meeting the surgeon on Monday for the fisrt time to talk about surgery,I'm so excited. I will be going thru the UW.
My number is 360-265-4071,yes it's a Kitsap county number so it's local for you!
Kellee.
queenlala_bee
on 6/9/11 5:30 am - Port Orchard, WA
 ty kellee, i will keep them in mind.  good luck on your consult.
i am adding you to my friends if that is alright.

Laura
KelleeMatlock
on 6/9/11 6:00 am - Tacoma, WA
Hey Laura,

How is your day going? I'm busy getting ready for a double birthday bbq on Saturday! Lots friends and family and TONS of food! Oh did I forget to mention we are having 2 CAKES as well? Well, we ARE! Oh my! I'm doing my salads and marinating tomarrow, so I wont be in the kitchen all day!
Any plans for your weekend?
When is your consult? I forgot.
Kellee.
queenlala_bee
on 6/9/11 6:14 am - Port Orchard, WA
 oh i have done my consult and pre-op tests and all of that.  i got surgery approval yesterday and i am waiting now for a call back from the nurse in the office to schedule my surgery.  i am close to day 0 now and i am nervous and scared all in one.
KelleeMatlock
on 6/9/11 9:15 am - Tacoma, WA
OMG, I would not be able to sit still!!
KelleeMatlock
on 6/9/11 6:02 am - Tacoma, WA
I forgot to ask where you work at? Harrison in Bremerton Or Silverdale? Or across the bridge?
Nosey aren't I? Haahaah!
queenlala_bee
on 6/9/11 6:11 am - Port Orchard, WA
 i actually work over in Seattle.  I work at one of the swedish campuses which is actually why i am going through them.

KelleeMatlock
on 6/9/11 6:14 am - Tacoma, WA
Sweet!!
Most Active