Wow 8 years...it's been one hell of a ride!!!

Sarahlicious
on 4/7/11 9:31 am - Portsmouth, OH

I'm not sure I'm up to retelling the entire tale, but I'll to hit the important points.

Important point #1...I am ALIVE.
Important point #2...I have a job (with health insurance).
Important point #3...I love myself inside and out. *tosses GLITTER*
Important point #4...I'm not at goal, never will be, and I don't care because refer to #1.

8 years ago I had Open RNY gastric bypass surgery at THE Ohio State University Medical Center. My highest known weight was 502lbs. I was bigger, I just could never find a scale to weight myself. After months of walking in a pool and losing some weight I got up enough nerve to go to a junk yard and weigh myself. I was horrified to see that I weighed over 500lbs. At that point in my life I was on SSI, having been fired from a job because of my weight and not finishing my college education. I had hit rock bottom and as they say there are only 2 ways to go...sideways and up...and let me tell you there isn't a lot of room at the bottom and my butt takes up a lot of space so moving sideways was just NOT an option.

Before surgery I had high blood pressure and sleep apnea...those are both resolved.

Since surgery I've had a DVT, TIA, PFO discovered. <---not related to WLS or my weight

I've got messed up genes. Oh sure EVERYONE claims their weight is genetic. Guess what it really is in my case! I have primary lipedema with secondary lymphedema. Oh yes, double the pleasure double the fun.

My lowest weight, reached in July 2007 was 250lbs, I then quickly started a regain which lasted to last summer and took me back up to 395. It was discovered my pouch and stoma were too big and the stoma was not located in a good position off the pouch. Last September I had a revision where the pouch was cut down and the stoma complete re connected. I am now back down to 350...which if you are better at math than MM...is a 150lbs loss....still after 8 years...hell the 100lbs loss is still good. I'm sure 350 is a horrible unimaginable weight to some people, but having been over 500lbs, 350 feels pretty damn good. I'm educated, employed, and know what is really important in my life. I am "healthy" the heart and stroke issues have been resolved, I am at no higher risk than anyone else my age, etc.

Final important point...losing weight is not going to get you a better job, better spouse/significant other, more friends, or healthy....remember lots of skinny people are in crappy relationships, suck ass jobs, and are sick.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

Bootssie
on 4/7/11 9:46 am - CA
RNY on 12/17/10 with
Sarah, I never knew most of this about you. Although I don't always agree with everything you say, I do respect you. Congrats on your 8 years and being happy with YOU!
Sarahlicious
on 4/7/11 10:20 am - Portsmouth, OH
Thank you for the congrats.

Not sure what all I've even said on here since December. However, I also don't really care as I've never posted to be liked or to earn respect from people on the internet who don't know the real me.  I know that sounds blunt...but it's the truth. I didn't post to get a bunch of warm fuzzies, I post because I feel compelled to put some long term experience out there.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Jackie McGee
on 4/7/11 10:21 am - PA

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

M M
on 4/7/11 9:54 am

Haven
on 4/7/11 10:00 am
 I think you left something out, Sarah.  

Important point #5...YOU ARE FABULOUS at any weight, age or status in life.  

I am honored to call you my friend and always stand in awe of your love for yourself.  You rock at all points in life.  :o)  
(deactivated member)
on 4/7/11 10:17 am - Bayonne, NJ
Sarah, you've been through it all and you've always been willing to help others. I give you a great deal of credit. Keeping off any weight, especially with everything that happened to you, is fantastic.

Health is indeed the most important thing, and that should be the motivating factor behind choosing surgery.

May you continue to have good health!
Congratulations Sarah on your 150 lb loss ... that is quite an accomplishment.  I am not a numbers cruncher, however, I believe that comes out to you losing 30% of your body weight.  Hopefully my math is better than MM ... I sure as heck know my dancing is!  (Only kidding MM, loved your dance video).

I am glad that things have improved for you and that you are working again, etc.  And I agree that it is all relative.  At 192 lbs am I still obese ... yes.  However, at 192 I don't have to buy two airline seats, I can fit in amusement park rides, I don't cringe at the sight of booths, etc.  Life is much different now for me then when I was in the 400s. 

I wish you continued success Sarah.

Nancy
"Learn from Yesterday.  Live for Today.  Hope for Tomorrow" - Albet Einstein

Sarahlicious
on 4/7/11 10:26 am - Portsmouth, OH

I can say all that too...the plane, rollercoaster (well at Disney and they are more generous than others...but I'll be honest I don't like some rollercoasters...lol), and LOVE booths now...mostly because my weight is more in my legs and arms, not my trunk area...and lymph fluid is heavy. *shrug* I've not even a normal fat chick. LOL

Judi J.
on 4/7/11 10:26 am - MN
You get warm fuzzies whether you want them or not! congrats!!
Most Active