Does anyone know anything about Baclofen?

Lisanelson_2
on 5/18/11 8:18 am - Salt Lake City, UT
 I just read a very interesting book about the use of Baclofen in treating addiction - in this case Alcoholism.    It apparently works on the GABA(B) receptor of the brain.   Some of you know this is an issue I'm interested in (along with what some call cross transfer addiction).   

When I did a quick search of OH and  Baclofen most of the comments from people seem to be taking it for fibromyalgia or neuropathy.   I was wondering if anyone had taken it for addiction or anxiety or insomnia and if it had provided any relief.

If anyone has any info on Baclofen - please let me know (side effects, bad experiences, good experiences,etc.!) - it would be most appreciated.

Lisa
Crimson
on 5/18/11 8:58 am - MD
I only know of baclofen being used to reduce muscle spasms in severely ill patients with neuromuscular disorders. can cause weakness, fatigue, mood disorders and even more pain for some. i've treated patients just in that aspect, not for addiction though.

hope you find what you're looking for
sweetpotato1959
on 5/20/11 11:35 pm
 my doc  gave me a trial of it  for muscle cramps. worked for that....I think i took 2...sweetpotato
ANNI D.
on 5/18/11 9:44 am
I was on it for a short time for muscle spasms in my back. They were prescribed to me by my pain management Dr. I found that the low dose for me (can't quite remember the mg's or the # of pills) didn't work. I have some freak of nature where most any medication does not work properly at a regular dose, and that was pre-op. So, of course, I took the highest recommended dose and started to feel numb in my arms and fingers. I also developed a very serious "fogginess" that had me very ill at ease. I am not one to complain when a med gives me a little "wooze" if it works, but this was just not right, IMO.

I was also on this med at the time of an incident where I didn't wake up for over 24 hours and when I did wake up I had urinated all over where I was sleeping, couldn't stand up, slurring my speech, memory problems. etc. I was rushed to the hosp in an ambulance and heard the Dr's say, and I quote, "we're not gonna let you die!" Evidently I was unresponsive and could only hear them, not be able to move, and vital signs were not promising....But I heard them loud and clear, more than one or twice, that they weren't going to let me die!

In the end, no one was quite sure what was the exact problem. Not sure if it was the Baclofen, or the other med I was on for pain, or a combo of both. The Dr's stopped my other pain med,  but when I felt all these "symptoms" after I was off of the other med  and it was well out of my system, I just did not feel safe taking the Baclofen any more. All this could have been just a fluke accident, that would only happen to me, but I just thought I'd share the experience I had with it, for my own peace of mind, I suppose.

P.S. I have suffered from severe alcohol addiction, in the past. I had already stopped drinking for a year and half before this incedent happened, so I do not know the benefits of it with alcohol addiction.
I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

terilynn112
on 5/18/11 10:51 am - maryland, NY
the side effects of that drug seriously out weighed the positives for me as well. I took it for muscle spasms. It wasn't nearly as effective as others i'd taken. It was highly sedating. HIGHLY! I gained a ton of weight on it because all i did was eat and sleep.

good luck in your search for information.

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

spedcon
on 5/18/11 11:56 am
Hi Lisa,
I have a student with a Baclofen pump implanted in his abdomen but it's for muscle spasms and high muscle tone...he is medically fragile with special needs and in a wheelchair. Probably not used for quite the same thing.....sorry.     Connie
Most Active