beware protein bars! (and other stresses)

Meredith I.
on 5/28/11 3:23 am - New Bern, NC
Well, I thought I was being smart.  My schedule at work has been pure HELL this past year and I resorted to protein bars for most breakfasts to save time.  I asked for recommendations here on the forum to get the best ones for quality and quantity of protein, low carbs, flavor, etc.  Because I kept them on hand all the time I started grabbing a protein bar after work when I was hungry.  Then I started grabbing one or two more later in the day if I was hungry thinking it was a much better snack than other junk in the house.  After about about 4 months of doing this I have GAINED about 20 lbs.!!!  Eeeek!!  I know it's not all the protein bar's fault.  I've indulged on a few other things here and there, but not on a regular basis.  For example, I ate most of a donut about a week ago.  And I've nibbled on Jelly Bellies here and there too.  I don't dump on things like this if I don't eat too much.  Stress at work has also been a HUGE factor.  My whole team at work has been on edge, ready to quit.  If there were other jobs out there, we would have walked out many months ago.  Instead, we've had to endure a lot of crap, indignities, time crunches, overwork, tears, etc.  When I get home I have to take a valium to keep from screaming at my husband and kicking the dog, or visa versa.   

I need to get back on track!!  Any suggestions for first steps toward a better path.  I don't want to throw away the protein bars.  First of all they're very expensive!  Second, there are times when I'm in such a ru****'s the only thing I DO have time to eat.
Meredith  Music Teacher in New Bern, NC (lost 48 lbs PRE-op!!)
http://bangertmusic.tripod.com/myweightlossjourney

M M
on 5/28/11 4:43 am
 Many people fall back on protein bars using them as a "snack" -- but many are just CANDY.  

You can still eat them - just use them as meals sometimes.

Some of the bars are KILLER - up to 400 calories.

I tend to snack on meat when I get really graze-y ... turkey it is.  I can't do that much damage with solid lean protein.
Meredith I.
on 5/28/11 6:00 am - New Bern, NC
The protein bars I have are the high protein Adkins (15-19 gr protein), the Oh Yeah wafers (15 gr protein), and the Carb Conscious Supreme Protein bars (15 gr protein).  They are all around 200 calories per bar.  They all taste good, esp. the Supreme protein ones.  I love the Rocky Road and the Cookies and Cream ones you recommended.  I think part of the problem is that they taste SOOOOO  good!  LOL!  Maybe if they didn't taste so good I wouldn't eat them as much.  LOL!

M M
on 5/28/11 6:03 am
 Yep.

My faves.

I have to keep the ISS Oh Yeahs!  in the freezer, because I WILL just grab them.

Meredith I.
on 5/28/11 6:22 am - New Bern, NC
FREEZER, good idea.  I tend not to like chocolate as much if it's frozen or cold. 

jkjstars123
on 5/28/11 9:43 am - Tama, IA
I just got back on track from eating too many carbs by going on the Atkins diet. You have to go very low carbs for two weeks (20) then you can add more after that. I lost between 6-7 pounds just in my first week. I will be starting my second week on Monday.

Before that I hadn't lost weight for months and in fact gained 10 pounds. It is hard work but it is worth it. I really do want some popcorn though!!

Julie

HW 304, SW 291, GW 160, CW 140 H-5'9.5"            

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/11 11:46 am
Thank you so much for posting this. I was going to buy some for after I have my surgery.
Now I think I will get them piecemeal. I am on the lowcarb high protein diet now and
omg my head is screaming it wants more but I am keeping that beast at bay with a very
big stick. But I will be writing down the prtein bars you are using and try them when I get
the chance.
makidd
on 8/4/11 10:38 am - Port Orange, FL
 HI Meredith,

I haven't been on this site in quite a while and I'm sure you have got this issue figured out.  But since we are in the same profession with the same time constraints I just wanted to share what works for me.  I used to get in trouble with those bars even before surgery when I was on another weight loss program.  Anyway, I started taking a piece of fruit and some cheese for my afternoon snack because all the biting and chewing on an apple helped me get out my frustrations of the day and it also took me longer to eat it.  I think the moisture in the fruit was very satisfying.  In the mornings, I still do the protein shakes and again because of the fluid, it fills me up much better than a protein bar.  Hope you are having a great summer.

My schedule next year is looking tough as we teach six straight classes without a break.  We then have to get energized to teach one more group and after school enrichment music.  

Take care,

Mary Ada
Mary Ada Kidd    
Debrasolost123
on 12/25/12 12:47 pm
  1. I am struggling so much now. Kept weight off since 2004 but I have recently gained 20 lbs. and feeling out of control. Do not really know where to start. I lost 125 and kept it if till recently  I had the r-y. Thinking of some type of revision. Need some advice. Had full plastic surgery in 2006 hate to ruin it my job is also unbearable i need serious advice.  Thank u deb
Most Active