Am thinking being skinny may be highly overrated

Carrie N.
on 7/1/11 2:56 pm - Pigeon Forge, TN
I am sure it is not just me.  I was fat my entire life.  Not chubby, plumb, rubenesque, etc., but really fat, always the fattest person around.  I weighed 385 before surgery.  I set a random goal of 199, but never planned on getting there.  My real goal was to be able to ride roller coasters and go karts and take an airplane trip without having to ask for an extender.  I had never flown for just that reason.  I got down to 230 and went back to 250 and was comforble there.  Now I am between 140 and 145.  I feel ridiculous.  I am a size 8-10 and 6' tall.  I weigh less than the first weight I can recall in the 3rd grade.  My arms loot like toothpicks.  I am not even strong enough to pick up a bag of mulch for my garden or a bag of charcoal.  I remember throwing 3 40 lb bags of garden soil over my shoulder and carrying them with no problem.  I have absolutely no jiggle or juiciness, just bone and muscle.  I am not comfortable in a regular chair.  My tailbone really hurts after an hour in the car.  I cannot find a comfortable position to sleep in.  I am almost 6 years post-op, and kind of thinking I am stuck here.  I definitely don'****ch what I eat, and I eat plenty.  I don't exercise, but I participate in a lot of activities (horseback riding, ziplining, waterparks, etc). 

Is this just me?  My health is good, cholesterol, blood pressure, thyroid, kidneys, everything is always perfect, except iron.  That is usually about 7.4, which doc says is very low, but, at this point, I guess not low enough to do anything about.

Not sure if pic will show up, but I have lost another 20 lbs since this photo. :(

Thanks,

Carrie

Carrie
385/199 goal/139 current
6' Tall
bmi 18.8  - 1 LB AWAY FROM BEING UNDERWEIGHT  

Surgery Date 8/2/2005
MemphisRain
on 7/1/11 3:48 pm - asfasdfasdfds, CA
I have a lot of the same problems regarding discomfort. I also still feel badly about myself. The only thing I can conclude is that whatever issues were there that allowed me to get so heavy are not going away, and therapy is the only thing that is going to help.
As far as sitting / etc comfortably, I've invested in LOTS of pillows, a very thick feathertopper for my bed, etc. Ive gained some weight back, but am still a size 2-4 and my frame is obviously built to be bigger.

RNY Surgery 10/22/2008   Heaviest Weight 274  Pre-op Weight 268/272(?)  Currently 127! One-derland! DOWN 147 POUNDS- More than I weigh now! Goal 125 (impossible?)

Carrie N.
on 7/1/11 4:32 pm - Pigeon Forge, TN
Thanks.  I am sorry you are having a hard time, but glad I am not the only one!  I did get a top of the line feather bed, and it helps some.  I am thinking of a Sleep Number bed, which I hate to do, since I just paid $4,000 for my mattress set 2 years ago, but if I can sleep well and not wake up unable to move, it may be worth it.  I drive a huge SUV, and the seats are like La-Z-Boy recliners, so they SHOULD be comfortable.  My son noticed my hip bone through my pants the other day and asked if I had a tumor. :(  Not cool.  I can eat a lot, too.  It's weird.  Today I had a big old grilled porterhouse and a baked potato the size of a newborn with loads of butter and sour cream and zucchini swimming in butter.  And, lately, that is the exception, not the rule.  Doc said to try mixing protein powder with ice cream and whole milk for extra iron, but sweets and milk are pretty much the only foods I can't eat. 
Carrie
385/199 goal/139 current
6' Tall
bmi 18.8  - 1 LB AWAY FROM BEING UNDERWEIGHT  

Surgery Date 8/2/2005
goodkel
on 7/1/11 6:36 pm
Your bones are SUPPOSED to be visible. Not all of them in sharp relief. But, hip bones, collar bones, wrists, jaws are supposed to be seen.

Your son is just adjusting to his new normal sized Mom. It IS cool that you have lost enough weight for your figure to start showing. Good for you!
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Esther B.
on 7/1/11 6:50 pm, edited 7/1/11 6:51 pm - Rainy & Cloudy, WA

I personally found the Sleep Number bed to be highly overrated and never could find my "number."  Backaches continued.  I suspect my dog didn't like it either because she peed on it while I was changing the sheets. 

The best bed have EVER had was a motionless water mattress.  Well filled and heated, it was more ******ic than sex to get into during the winter.  And I never suffered backaches with it like I do now with a mattress. 

But I liked it better than my ex and it went away when we moved. 

goodkel
on 7/1/11 6:30 pm
You do NOT look too thin in that photograph. You look like an average thin person. Nothing is stick-like on you. You have a long and lanky figure. A tall, cool, drink of water. So, you don't have the leverage all that extra weight gave you. Start lifting weights and get stronger the right way, with muscles.

That jiggle and juiciness was a leech draining the life out of you.

Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

MemphisRain
on 7/1/11 7:29 pm - asfasdfasdfds, CA
I have a sleep number. If you want to replicate the experience without spending a grand, cover a 35$ air mattress with a sleeping bag. It's effing awful. I even have a four inch feather topper on it. It still is uncomfortable. I'd love to try the tempurpedic mattress.

RNY Surgery 10/22/2008   Heaviest Weight 274  Pre-op Weight 268/272(?)  Currently 127! One-derland! DOWN 147 POUNDS- More than I weigh now! Goal 125 (impossible?)

southernlady5464
on 7/2/11 3:07 am
On July 2, 2011 at 2:29 AM Pacific Time, MemphisRain wrote:
I have a sleep number. If you want to replicate the experience without spending a grand, cover a 35$ air mattress with a sleeping bag. It's effing awful. I even have a four inch feather topper on it. It still is uncomfortable. I'd love to try the tempurpedic mattress.
I abhored the temperpedic mattress...we had one, lasted about a year before we GAVE it to our daughter. She liked it. Too hard for me, too soft for dh and HOT as HELL. Plus, if you happen to live in the north, it can freeze. Ours did when we lost power/heat to the house for three days in 20 degree weather in Feb. Came home from the hotel to a frozen mattress.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Julissita
on 7/4/11 2:35 pm - houston, TX
 I totally agree!!! We call it the temper rock! We are burning up, hot and their mattress satisfaction guarantee is a LIE!!! It can freeze huh? In all honesty the only thing we have enjoyed on this bed is sex. Funny huh!
Elizabeth N.
on 7/1/11 11:44 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Eep. No WONDER you feel weak and puny with that iron! How's your ferritin, iron binding capacity and RBC count? No, that's not a HORRIBLE number, but IMNSHO it's for darned sure a treatable number. I'd be hollering for iron infusions (in fact that's exactly what I did, getting the first one this coming week) if I were in your shoes--which I am :-). I feel puny too.

The other thing I'd suggest is doing some work to build muscle mass. I'm enjoying using a yoga ball for this, and also do some resistance band work off and on. Need to be more faithful with both though. If I were in your shoes, I'd do this AND really kick up the protein intake to support this kind of work on your tall frame.

Most Active