Maintaining weight after years of having surgery

keli1961
on 8/15/11 9:22 am - Antioch, CA
I am almost 9 years post op. It started out very rough; I couldnt eat solid food for 3 months so I
lost alot of weight very quickly. Even after that and even to this day I suffer from nausea really bad and occaisional vomiting.  I also am now dealing with a whole new issue.  I never had any
problems with being a diabetic or any issues with that.  I currently am struggling with low blood
sugar constantly were I carry a glucometer and glucose tabs.  I am constanly having to eat sweets to maintain my blood sugar. This is a friggin nightmare.  I have no support group were
I have moved to so it is very difficult to get any help.  Also I have no health insurance. 
I said this before; Think about having the weight loss surgery and think again!
(deactivated member)
on 8/15/11 9:29 am - San Jose, CA
Yet another example of late-developing problems with RNY:

J Gastrointest Surg. 2011 Jun 14. [Epub ahead of print]

Advances in the Etiology and Management of Hyperinsulinemic Hypoglycemia After Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass.

Cui Y, Elahi D, Andersen DK.

Source

Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 4940 Eastern Avenue, Baltimore, MD, 21224, USA.

Abstract

INTRODUCTION:

Hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia with severe neuroglycopenia has been identified as a late complication of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) in a small number of patients.

DISCUSSION:

The rapid resolution of type 2 diabetes mellitus after RYGB is probably related to increased secretion of the incretin hormones glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP) and glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), and patients with post-RYGB hypoglycemia demonstrate prolonged elevations of GIP and GLP-1 compared to non-hypoglycemic post-RYGB patients. Nesidioblastosis has been identified in some patients with post-RYGB hypoglycemia and is likely due to the trophic effects of GIP and GLP-1 on pancreatic islets.

CONCLUSIONS:

Treatment of hypoglycemia after RYGB should begin with strict dietary (low carbohydrate) alteration and may require a trial of diazoxide, octreotide, or calcium-channel antagonists, among other drugs. Surgical therapy should include consideration of a restrictive form of bariatric procedure, with or without reconstitution of gastrointestinal continuity. Partial or total pancreatic resection should be avoided.

Here is some more reading for you:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=%22gastric%20bypass% 22%20%22hypoglycemia%22

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/11 9:40 am - San Jose, CA

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/95/4/1851.long (full text article)

Reversible Hyperinsulinemic Hypoglycemia after Gastric Bypass: A Consequence of Altered Nutrient Delivery
The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism April 1, 2010 vol. 95 no. 4 1851-1855

In summary, the results in this case suggest that generalized β-cell overactivity due to either GLP-1-mediated hyperplasia or failure of islet regression after surgically induced weight loss is not responsible for post-RYGB hypoglycemia. Rather, it appears that inappropriately high insulin concentrations result shortly after meal consumption, but only when food transits through the bypassed gastrointestinal tract. As such, the data obtained in this case study suggest that altered nutrient transit is responsible for this phenomenon. Although an exaggerated incretin response is one possible explanation, further studies are needed to prove causality. From a clinical perspective, placement of a GT in the original stomach appears to have the potential to completely normalize highly abnormal, undesirable, and potentially dangerous metabolic responses to ingested nutrients in post-RYGB patients. We recommend consideration of this intervention for others with severe postbariatric hypoglycemia refractory to diet and medications.

~~~
Just to be clear - the authors are suggesting that RNY patients suffering from this problem get a gastrostomy tube (GT) surgically installed into their blind pouch, and put all their food and drink in THAT way.

tazfan
on 8/15/11 10:56 am
Keli
Are you still in the Antioch area?  There is a support group in Antioch at Sutter Hospital, I don't remember which night it is.  Also, we still have the once a month meetings at John Muir in Concord that Anne leads.  You don't need insurance to attend either. 
J.e.t.
on 8/15/11 11:02 am
I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry you're going through this, it sounds awful!  Where do you live now?  Is there a way that you could just pay for a consultation with a local surgeon, to see what your options might be?

HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

MsBatt
on 8/15/11 12:14 pm
You might want to visit the Revision forum here: www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/

I realize that with no health insurance a revision may not be feasible for you, but if your problems are bad enough you might consider self-pay.
Sharyn S.
on 8/15/11 12:36 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
The absolute worst thing you can do for hypoglycemia is eat sweets.  That creates a cycle of high blood sugars that drop rapidly and dangerously low.

You need to be eating 4-6 SMALL meals that consist of protein, healthy fats (like olive oil), and fiber (like veggies).  This will go a long way to prevent hypoglycemi episodes and/or to reduce their severity.

When you do have a hypoglycemic episode, drink milk and have some peanut butter & crackers.  Then, follow that with PROTEIN.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

Jesica234
on 8/15/11 8:37 pm

You should find not a support group but good dietitian, who will make a good diet for you. It is important to follow all instructions. I had similar problem, but without diabetic and whole my family started eating the same food with me, it really helped. You should also read this thread http://www.pissedconsumer.com/consumer-reviews/plastic-surge ry.html

Lifebeauty
on 8/15/11 10:51 pm
Keli I don't have any answers but I do wish you well and success in handling your new stressors.  Hopefully you will find support in a group or online. 
Take care,
Z

With  I will succeed.
HW: 280 - LW: 190 - GW - 180  
Unfilled 8/15/11 - WT:  209
1st Fill 11/29/11 - WT: 215.5 - 3cc
2/20/12 - New Goal - Get n Onederland
2nd Fill 4/26/12 - WT: 224.0 - 3cc
Z

Most Active