Do any of you RNYers dump on carbs?

CAnutfarmer
on 10/5/11 9:09 am
I'm a little over two years out from RNY and i'm a dumper. I generally stay away from white carbs, but do eat whole wheat versions. When I was jumping through all the hoops and talking to others that had RNY WLS, nobody ever mentioned that I may dump on good carbs. In fact my surgeon said in the seminar that post op long term we could enjoy a piece of pizza or half a sandwich. If I eat a piece of whole wheat bread with peanut butter on it, within the hour or so I feel a bit woozy. Same goes if I eat a baked potato, or whole wheat pasta. Generally, any bread item. I knew I'd dump on sugars and fats, but not the carbs.

I just wanted to find out if others have had similar results.

And maybe as a little more info for pre-ops when trying to decide on a surgery.

Thanks

HW 254 SW 247 CW 162 GW 145  

First 5K                                        37:48
First Trail 1/2 Marathon            3hr 30min
First Regular 1/2 Marathon     3hr 7min
1/2 Marathon 5/20/12               3hr 6min
M M
on 10/5/11 9:18 am
Yep.

Carbs are kryptonite.

Some -- better than others - particularly whole grains mixed with protein/fat.
mym22988
on 10/5/11 9:39 am - NC
Cars and sugar don't make me dump but if they arfe too high they knock me out. I have to sleep it off. I can't even keepmy eyes open.
mkbeany
on 10/5/11 10:20 am
Just about 2 years out.

I have never dumped.

(hope I never do!!)
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
AnneGG
on 10/5/11 11:41 am
So far I just dump on ice cream, 3 times so far. Slow learner.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Kathleen W.
on 10/5/11 11:50 am - Lancaster, PA
I'm 2 years out here.   I don't eat white sugar except an occasional pizza. I can handle a very small amount  sugar once every 2-3 weeks.(like a small candy bar).  The only thing that I really have a problem with is if something is full fat and sugar like homemade Icecream and cake.  When that happens, I get light headed and then take a nice long  nap.  Luckily, that's only happened twice in 2 years.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Magan M.
on 10/5/11 11:58 am
 When I was in my full liquid phase, I made potato soup.  After blending it, it was mashed potato soup.  I ate it twice a day for a week straight.  1. Because I made too much.  2. Because it was GOOD!  That whole week I never had a problem.  Then I made several batches of actual mashed potatoes, both from real potatoes and instant, and no matter what kind they were, I was woozy after eating them.  Very weird because nothing else has done that to me.

poet_kelly
on 10/5/11 12:09 pm - OH
I don't dump on carbs, and if you just feel a little bit woozy, that doesn't sound like you are dumping either.  It sounds more like reactive hypoglycemia, which I do have - if I eat something with a lot of carbs and not much protein, my blood sugar drops a lot soon after and I feel shaky and icky.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Apple-Jax
on 10/5/11 5:19 pm
sounds like low blood sugar, a girl i know gets severely hypoglycemic from any pasta, rice, bread etcc etc,  she can tolerate quinoa really well and swears by it!

Support Group for Fall 2011 WLS! Please come and join!
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Fall_2011_WLS/

Janice B.
on 10/5/11 9:15 pm - Misawa-chi, Japan

Hello, my name is Janice, and I dump on carbs  :-)  and dairy.  Actually the gastro tells me that it is an allergy combined with wls.  No good or bad grain-based carbs for me.  Just not worth the pain.  Sorry you are dealing with this too.

Janice

Life is too short to eat vanilla ice cream and dance with boring men.

HW: 305/SW: 289/CW: 129

Most Active