Newbie looking for support

failure
on 1/9/12 10:10 am
 I originally had gastric bypass in 2001.  I lost 105 lbs before I became pregnant about 10 months later.  I gained about 20 lbs back after my pregnancy but I was healthy and happy and didn't stress it.  I got pregnant again 2 yrs after that and put on more weight this time.  Five months after my baby was born I was diagnosed with severe post partum depression and started this tremendous medication regimine.  I gained back 80 lbs within 2 yrs and sought the help of a surgeon for a revision.  I lost 30 lbs total being on a strict high protein diet and exercising.  Here I am 5 yrs later weighing more than I have in my life.  I am hypothyroid (had a partial thyroidectomy), severely depressed, and dealing with disc degeneration in my spine.  I NEED to get weight off.  I am obese and on the verge of sleep apnea as well.  I don't know what to do.  These medications seem to keep piling my weight back on, but I truly need them.  My depression has overwhelmed me so much that I can't even work anymore.  Does anyone have any suggestions where I can start?  Could I possibly consider researching a third surgery?  I would love to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation so I don't feel like a freak.  Thanks in advance.
M M
on 1/9/12 10:14 am
First off, your screenname isn't going to help you get motivated.

Next, if you're over your original start weight -- I'd consider heading to a surgeon for a revision -- you mention "third" -- but I don't see what you had?

If this is legit - you aren't alone.   There are thousands of people *****gain.
Kathy S.
on 1/9/12 10:24 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
 Hi,

I agree with m m, you are NOT a loser!  I would find a surgeon that does revisions in your area (OH can help you with that) and eliminate any medical options before you have another surgery like maybe changing your medications.  Here is a link to our Revision Forum and also a group called Back On Track Together

We are here for you and will help in any way we can.

Take care,
Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

failure
on 1/9/12 10:32 am
 I had original bypass in 2001 with start weight of 250.  In 2007 I had a revision at the weight of 230.  Now I am 265.  Am I doomed to be obese because of my mental health issues?  Diet has not worked and exercise is limited due to back problems.
Plum1967
on 1/9/12 10:52 am
Perhaps the best place to start would be to go back to your last surgeon and have him check the mechanics of that surgery... to make sure if everything is still as it should be.  If all is good in that regard, I would look into possible medication modifications.

Above all, however, I would seek out counselling... it is always a good place to start.

I understand regain... you are NOT alone!

~wendy

I've partnered with Team In Training to raise funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

If you want to help fight blood cancers, please consider donating at http://pages.teamintraining.org/nj/rnr12/wnystrom.

Thank you for your support!

Shelly T.
on 1/9/12 10:54 am
Try changing your screan name from failure to loser , here that is a good thing.

As far as the depression that starts with you also, I know I have been there, ALOT had to change and I had to find the strength to make those changes, Actually for that depression ended up being a blessing in disquise ,I even had people asking if I was suicidle because I started shutting people out and throwing away "things" I noticed when alot of the dead weight was gone the stress had gone with it.

I aslo informed my sicologist and councler I was not comming back because now that I got everything i wanted i wasnt sure I even wanted it and there was nothing they could change anyway. , they changed my meds...6 times..lol

Now I still alow myself time to be down but I start each morning trying to find at least 3 things I am happy and thankful for, one wich is always on my list is my 4 yr old , I would have never had her without this journey.

No matter what anyone told me or suggested nothing worked untill I decided I was making the change...Good Luck to you hope you find your way back to your true you again soon.

Ladytazz
on 1/9/12 1:21 pm
I regained 100 lbs after my first surgery and part of the reason was probably the medication I was taking at the time.  It was known for causing weight gain and I know I was very hungry when I was taking it.  I tried to stop but whenever I did the depression was so bad I figured I'd rather be heavy then suicidal.
After my revision they changed my meds and obviously it hasn't affect my weight at all so there are medications that can help you and not cause you to gain weight.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Marilyn101
on 1/9/12 1:23 pm - FL
It is never to late. We are here for you. I also agree that going to a surgeon knowing were you stand and what options you have would be a great place to start. I will keep you in my prayers good luck and keep us posted.
Amy T.
on 1/9/12 8:41 pm - Labadieville, LA
 I too have depression.  I would not even wi**** on my worst enemy.  Thank God that I have a wonderful psychiatrist. She knows what drugs to use, and she has alway**** the nail on the head.  I am currently on 60 mg of Cymbalta, 10 mg of Doxepin, and she also gives mr .05 Klonopin for when my nerves get jacked. I have been on these for the last few years.  I originally started on Prozac, it stopped working then went on Effexor and because of the high dose made my blood pressure go up.  I find that a psychiatrist is more experienced in that field than a primary care physician. I always tell people when I get depressed, trying to come out of it is like climbing a ladder.  Your always scared to fall back off.  Good Luck to you, and if you need to talk, message me.  
Nicolle
on 1/10/12 12:53 am
You're not a failure. Your surgeries failed you. Not sure what your second surgery was, so I can't even begin to guess what options you may have left, anatomically. (Did they do a ROSE procedure, did they shorten your common channel?)

You may be interested in the DS. By far, it has the best long-term success rates of any of the available WLS. However, since you are a revision, there are only a few surgeons who should even touch you at this point, no matter what you decide to have done. Otherwise, it'll be just like your second surgery--a bandaid fix for a gaping wound. One such person is John Rabkin, in San Francisco. Travel is a pain, but I did it and so have thousands of others. You can do it. There are a few east coast docs who can handle a revision to a DS, but you should probably check out the DS forum for more info. Also, there is a revisions forum here.

Here is a little webinar Rabkin has on his site about revisions. It's a little dry, but it might have some helpful info for you, as a place to start:

http://www.paclap.com/weight-loss-surgery/revisions.cfm

To learn more about the DS, you may want to check out the DS forum here, on OH, and visit www.dsfacts.org.

Best of luck to you!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Most Active