What was your weight gain (if any) 3-4 yrs post surgery?

ALESIA1966
on 2/2/12 10:08 pm - New Bern, NC
This year, in a couple of months is my 7th surgiversary...Gain from my lowest maintenance 20 lbs - do ZUMBA regular & walk alot so my clothes still fit right, BUT, working on losing some of it, realistically at my age (+40 body) I don't think I look bad, where I am, but the number on the scale still plays with my head, lost 7 of the 20 but have had to really APPLY myself, it definately does not melt off like it did the 1st 3 yrs post-op - counting cals again, logging food & participating in the BOT group are a big+ in getting me working in the right direction...

If you're really dissatisfied with the gain, work at it & it will come off again, just be prepared to be patient in seeing progress...Figure out our RMR (formula on internet) deduct 500 cals a day (if you can manage it) & loss will happen...

Good Luck, maintenance is WAY harder then losing, face it progress motivates, sameness stagnates & maintenance is about sameness, thats why its harder to maintain

Alesia : start 249 / surgeon's goal 138 / current 142  

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/12 10:35 pm
Also read the "failed surgery" and "revision" surgery boards. If the RNY stoma fails, you've got some real problems.
mollypitcher08
on 2/3/12 12:37 am
Hey thanks for this post - I feel a bit more accountable!! (or woken up!) It has been 3 1/2 years post RNY for me.  I lost 206 lbs. total and have put on just under 15# at my lowest recorded weight.  Not proud of it either.  I have never gotten to my own goal of 150# either.  I have been careless (or carefree) and am now working on getting back on track.  Is it easy (no way!) My biggest mistake (IMO) was that I started to drink with my meals and now find I am eating/drinking quite normally.  This is one of the many ways I got myself SMO in the first place. (Old habits die hard!)  It is also hard to keep going at times and be faithful to your new way of eating/and exercising.
I have heard that SOME weight gain can be expected, however, I have also seen many many successful RNY'ers and other surgeries who do not have any weight gain at all and are very successful.
Don't have any thoughts other than I was stupid and didn't keep on track so try not to do the same thing and hopefully all will work out for you in the long term.  I know I don't want to go back to 450#.  This is what I try and re-experience in my mind's eye to help me resist eating/drinking and to get my butt out and exercise more! So many others on here so very successful! It's great to read about them all.  Take care.  Mary
kstonecorbett
on 2/5/12 7:23 am - Sicklerville, NJ
 Hi, at my 3 year mark, I gained about 15 pounds.  I came on OH forum and was advised that it was normal to gain back a certain percentage of weight lost.  I was not happy about that weight gain and over the next year or so, I lost 17 pounds.  I just tightened up my program.  Now, I am 6 years out and I am losing weight again.  Now, I'm starting to worry.  But that's another topic.  If you are okay with the weight gain, then keep it.  If not, tighten up your program and get it off.  Hope this helps.  I was relieved when I got that extra weight off.  I worked way to hard to have those pounds back on.
Kathleen E. Stone-Corbett
Laura in Texas
on 2/6/12 3:54 am
I am 3.5 years out from RNY and have had no regain. I work my ass off to stay at my goal weight and plan on staying here.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active