Proferrin(iron supplement)

sp1209
on 3/27/12 6:23 am - AL
Hoping this may help someone. I had been religiously taking carbonyl iron supplements for years. A little over 3 months ago labs came back with iron low at 28. Started researching and ordered Proferrin ES. Yesterday got labs back and iron had gone from 28 to 87. This stuff works!! I checked with ins and by getting the prescription Proferrin I will save $35. for each 180 tablets. So glad this worked for me and thought it may help someone else. By the way, for the 3 months I took 2 a day. Dr said to continue on it but cut to 1 a day. Will see how this does and adjust from there.

Susan
H.A.L.A B.
on 3/27/12 6:24 am

They did not work for me. I took them for one year.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

AnneGG
on 3/27/12 6:31 am
Proferrin works for me, too, but I never thought about getting it prescription. Thanks for the heads up!

Another reason I like Proferrin is you can take it with calcium or food, so one less med time to remember. Plus it is non-constipating.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

sp1209
on 3/27/12 7:51 am - AL
OMG! Forgot to even mention how much easier it has made taking all the supplements. Not worrying about calcium or anything. I know they wont work for everyone but I am thrilled I 'discovered' them

Susan
Dragonryder2
on 3/28/12 2:29 am - NM
WOW so going to hassle the doc about this.  My iron is VERY low and has been for awhile.  Past age of monthlies so not sure why I should be anemic.

Thanks so much for putting this on the board.
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/12 3:58 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
this too, my hematologist was very admant that folks taking iron supplementation be tested every 3 months to make sure they are not tipping into iron overload, so please get tested accordingly!

Just for safety's sake! 
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/12 3:55 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

In the first 3 months I took it my ferritin went from 15.7 to 18.  My hematologist told me to double the dose, so I a) followed all the iron rules *like it says we are not supposed to do with heme iron* and b) doubled my dose.

After  3 months my ferritin crawled up to 23 from 18. 

My iron saturation is above normal and so is my serum iron, but my ferritin is unimpressive, even after double dosing the proferrin, so sometimes its amazing, and sometimes I wonder if I could use the cash better somewhere else.  :}

I am glad it worked for you though!  That's nice!

Most Active