Autoimmune issues (surgery 2002)

waringd
on 6/14/12 1:01 am - Atlantic Beach, FL
I had roux n y in 2002.  Have done pretty well but have had a myriad of issues.  Vitamin deficiencies such as low folate, B12, D, Iron and many problems with anemia also have had to have two iron infusion treatments.

I became lactose intolerant due to surgery and have now found out that I have a gluten intolerance in which my Dr's feel are all directly associated with my surgery.

I am wondering if other long time WLS has had any of these issues happen to them. 
poet_kelly
on 6/14/12 1:20 am - OH
I know RNY sometimes causes lactose intolerance, which is mainly due to the fact that we don't have a pyloric valve anymore so milk gets poured into the small intestine very rapidly and some people can't digest that much lactose that quickly.

But how would RNY cause a gluten intolerance?  That's something I haven't heard before.

I don't think the vitamin deficiencies are an autoimmune issue, do you?  Usually that is just caused by not taking sufficient amounts of supplements.  I've had a number of deficiencies since my surgery, including vitamin D, B12, iron, vitamin A and zinc.  All were caught pretty quickly and corrected by taking additional supplements.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jeparis0125
on 6/14/12 2:10 am - Hampstead, MD
 I had my RNY almost two years ago.  Last summer I started having issues with my feet and was referred to a rhuematologist.  He felt I was starting with RA but nothing showed in my tests.  When I saw my surgeon for my 18 month follow up I told him about what my rheumatologist said and he kind of pooh-poohed it.  The beginning of March I had my first major RA flair.  It was horrible - I was so swollen and literally gained 10 lbs overnight due to the inflamation.  All the indicators came back for RA and one of them (I think it was my C reactive protein?) was 126.  Normal is in the teens somewhere.  The pain was so intense I couldn't walk across the parking lot to have blood work done and I had been running 20+ miles a week up to that point.  Since then I've been on prednisone for three months, take celebrex daily, and have started infusions to aggressively treat the RA.  Additionally, I ended up in the ER about a month ago with colitis (that was oh so much fun).  I've wondered if all of my issues were caused by my RNY.  I thought I had found something about a link but when I went back and looked I couldn't find any thing.  If anyone knows of my link I'd be interested in hearing about it.  I don't regret my RNY but this latest crap really stinks on ice!

karenp8
on 6/15/12 1:00 am - Brighton, IL
I feel for you. I too have RA and have had it since age 23 (I am now 52). I have not had my surgery yet but will be having RNY soon. From what my rheumatologist says and from what I have researched they really do not know what causes RA. I developed it early and there is no one else in my family with the disease. RA is a chronic disease that does not go away but it is much more controllable now than in the past. There are many new meds that can help. You have done the best thing by getting a rheumatologist to help manage your care. Sorry for all these struggles but know that it does get better. 
jeparis0125
on 6/15/12 4:46 am - Hampstead, MD
 Thanks for the reply.  I'm on methotrexate and also receiving remicade infusions.  I'm feeling a hundred percent better.  No one in my family has it either and I don't think my kids really understand how bad the pain can be.  The best description I've read is that it feels like there is broken glass rubbing together in your joints.  I've started working out and running again - I've just been surprised at the level of fatigue I'm experiencing still.  I worn out by 8 or 8:30 at night and ready for bed.  I know I'm lucky compared to some with the disease in that I'm responding to treatment - it just really threw me for a loop!

Good luck on your surgery - I'm sure you'll do great!  If you need any one to talk to feel free to friend me.  I'm also on FB.

Julie

karenp8
on 6/15/12 5:23 am - Brighton, IL
The fatigue will prabably get better. I too am on methotrexate and take Humira as well. I really think it is next to impossible for people who don't have it to imagine what the pain is like. I have had it for about 30 years and basically do fairly well most of the time. I have had to have partial knee replacements a long time ago--1994-- and had a total replacement done on my right knee in 2007. I probably need a total on the left as well but will not do it at this weight. Hopefully losing the weight will take lots of stress off my joints. Thats the plan anyway!! 
jeparis0125
on 6/15/12 5:37 am - Hampstead, MD
 I have osteo in my back and losing the weight has made a huge difference in the pain I feel.  It used to be incredibly painful to walk more than a 100 feet or so and now the distance (within reason - I'm not talking about 10's of miles) is immaterial.  Do as much exercise as you feel comfortable with - maybe water aerobics or swimming if you can.

As far as the fatigue goes - I hope you're right.  I have noticed I'm sleeping better at night other than my darn allergies!

MsBatt
on 6/15/12 6:59 am
I really doubt your auto-immune problems were caused by your RNY---but your RNY makes it unwise for you to treat them with NSAIDs.
karenp8
on 6/17/12 11:13 am - Brighton, IL
Neither methotrexate nor Humira are NSAIDS.
Most Active