Protein

ChatKat15
on 6/28/12 4:36 pm - Indianapolis, IN
I keep reading that eating massive quantities of protein will only serve to encourage a disease state in my body.  Specifically that animal and dairy protein has a tendency to be acidic which makes it easy to grow a cancer.  i am very concerned.  i had WLS in 2000 (RNY), lost 150 pounds, styaed that way for 5 years, then started having all sorts of immune problems finally resulting in having my thyroid removed. The remaining 5 years, i gained back 100 pounds--from neuropathy in my feet, back troubles from slipping on the ice, fibromyalgia pain making it near impossible to get much energy to do things.  now i am trying to get a revision, however i am very concerned about putting fake things in my body, afraid it is all making it harder for me to not only lose this weight again, but also affecting my nerves in my feet. I need toi lost this weight all over again, will revision help me?  I have been riding my back every morning for an hour for the past month and also taking water aerobics at night one day a week.  i have not lost one pound, in fact gained a pound.
Valerie G.
on 6/30/12 2:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Talk to Dr. Inman about revising to the DS.  Yes, you'll eat even more protein, but your body malsbsorbs half of it, so no worries about toxic effects.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

ChatKat15
on 6/30/12 5:03 am - Indianapolis, IN
whats the difference between the DS and getting another RNY?
MsBatt
on 6/30/12 7:35 am
On June 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM Pacific Time, ChatKat15 wrote:
whats the difference between the DS and getting another RNY?

It's like the difference between daylight and dark.

To get a true RNY-to-DS revision, your surgeon would put your pouch and your remnant stomach back together, then do a sleeve gastrectomy---basically, you'd once again have a fully-functional stomach, but it would only be large enough to hold 2-3 ounces. You'd have no remnant stomach any longer, and you'd once again be able to take NSAIDs.

Then, your surgeon would increase the amount of small intestine that's bypassed, giving you permanent malabsorption of calories, not just vitamins and minerals like with your RNY. You'd eat more food, but absorb fewer calories---about half the protein you eat, about 60% of the complex carbs you eat, and only 20% of the fat you eat. This is the reason that the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight loss stats.
Dagne Tripplehorn
on 6/30/12 3:00 am, edited 6/30/12 3:01 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 The only question I can answer is your concern about "massive quantities" of protein. The amount prescribed for RNY patients is not massive. A minimum of 70 grams up to about 120 grams is not enough to damage the body, although of course there might be exceptions.

Consuming commercial animal products has dangers due to the chemicals, hormones, diseases, and stress in the animals. Many people advocate eliminating all animal proteins. If you do eat dairy, meat, and eggs, try to eat only free range, organically raised, vegetarian-fed animals. 

Most Active