Good Reasons to Call the Doctor??

ms_ella78
on 10/10/12 9:24 am - Los Angeles, CA
RNY on 09/18/12
 I am so tired of everytime I feel a little pain in the stomach area I feel as if I have to call the doctor. Right now I feel everytime I'm drinking something I get this burning like sensation in the mid part of my stomach. I am also having these feeling like I have a baby moving area in there. I know I'm not pregnant but those movements...what does it mean?????

I'm always online line looking for all kinds of sugesstions.. please tell me when I should call the doctor when it comes to the little pains. I'm sure I got the big and noticeable things together. 
Valerie G.
on 10/10/12 9:53 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Strange sensations and gurgles are perfectly normal. It's your food moving through the digestive tract. With the burning, I would recommend something for reflux.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

SandieMc49
on 10/10/12 9:46 pm
Pardon me for giggling a bit at your post.  Shoooooot, I am 4 years out and I still have the gurgling and feelings of movement in my stomach. 

The first thing I do is remember what I last ate and either chalk it up to that, or remove it from my diet.  Lots of foods give us "gas" - even the ones that never did before our surgery.  The burning is another thing, however.

I think it might be worth a call to your surgeon's nurse and just ask her "hey, what pains and sensations should I be concerned about, and which ones are normal?"

I was at the gym one Sunday morning and I got very bad lower right quadrant pain that radiated to my back.  After I left the gym, I went to the store to try to "walk it off".  Needless to say, I left my carriage in the middle of the store and headed for the ER where I had emergency surgery for a small bowel obstruction.  The surgeon said that on a scale of 100, I was a 99!  This is not to scare you - this is to make you aware that there are some things you should NOT ignore, and that it should ease your mind to know the difference.

Sandie
lady_myst
on 10/12/12 1:44 am
I so understand your frustration.  It feels like you are a complainer and you hate to bother people, right?  My doctor said bother him.  Bother him lots.  Here is a bit of my story.

I had pains in my tummy after i ate...but not all the time.  When i did have them, they were at a 7 or 8 on the pain scale.  Occasionally i would get a little pain when i didnt eat but heck i am a mom.  I am conditioned to ignore aches and pains unless it takes me out completely.  So i went to a family doctor.  Tests were coming normal.  Nothing was showing up.  I had probably pulled or strained a muscle and i was probably either not chewing good enough or eating things that my body wasnt agreeing with was the conclusion.  WRONG CONCLUSION.

I struggled with this for over a month.  Why i didnt tell my gastric doctor i cant tell you.  It was not one of my brighter moments.  Anyway....the pain got so intense one day at work, that i called my family doc again.  He told me i was constipated and that he didnt need to see me.  In desperation i call my gastric doc.  He told me to get to the hospital NOW.  I drove the 2.5 hours.  By the time i arrived, i was feeling better and feeling like a fool.  He met me in the ER.  It was time for me to eat and he told me to go ahead.  I was two bites into my fat free ham wrapped around low fat cheese when the pain****  My doc knew immediately what was wrong.  i was in surgery first thing the next morning.

I had a hernia.  A big one on the inside.  The pain was from my intestines going in and out which is why i felt pain only sometimes.  It could have been deadly if i had ignored it.  I have a high pain tolerence so the pain was not alerting me as it should have.  I had no idea how sick i was. 

Let your doc know.  some of it will be normal and he will tell you that.  If its not, he will know that too.  dont wait like i did.  good luck!! 

Most Active