Vitamin D

LeighAnne89
on 3/10/13 2:24 pm - KY

How much vitamin D should we get in daily after having wls?

jay_dee_767
on 3/10/13 10:32 pm - Canada

2000 units twice a day with calcium

Referral Recieved November 13/12  Orientation Nov.19/12 meet Dr.Klein and NUT Nov .26/12  , Meet the social worker and RN on Dec. 6/12 ,DR.Glazer Dec.13/12 Meet Dr.Klein and pick up optifast Jan.16th 2013 Patts Feb.19th,2013, Surgery March 5th,2013

poet_kelly
on 3/10/13 11:14 pm - OH

That is a really low dose for someone with RNY.  Also vitamin D does not need to be taken with calcium.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jay_dee_767
on 3/11/13 10:20 am - Canada

This comes from my surgeons office and registered dietian, also I am in Canada so it maybe different!!!

Referral Recieved November 13/12  Orientation Nov.19/12 meet Dr.Klein and NUT Nov .26/12  , Meet the social worker and RN on Dec. 6/12 ,DR.Glazer Dec.13/12 Meet Dr.Klein and pick up optifast Jan.16th 2013 Patts Feb.19th,2013, Surgery March 5th,2013

MsBatt
on 3/11/13 11:20 am

No, Canadians are the same species as Americans. (*grin*)

Seriously---surgeons are trained to cut and sew. Most of them are taught next to nothing about the nutritional needs of NON-ops, much less those of WLS patients. Registered dieticians rarely know much about WLS patients, either.

Most calcium tablets do contain D and magnesium, as these aid in the absorption of calcium. But---rarely do they contain enough of these for even 'normal' people. After WLS---well, after RNY and DS---malabsorption means we need a LOT more.

poet_kelly
on 3/12/13 1:21 am - OH

It may come from your surgeon's office, but it's still a very low dose.  I have not known a single RNY post op that could maintain a good level ( at least 80, which is what the Linus Pauling Insitute says it needs to be) on less than 5000 IU a day.  Most need at least 10,000 IU a day and many need more than that.

We do need a good vitamin D level (above 80) in order to absorb calcium properly but it does NOT need to be taken with calcium.  If your registered dietician thinks it does, she is mistaken.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

moonlightrunner
on 3/10/13 10:38 pm

My doc bases it on labs.  My vitamin d was 21 (way up from the 4 it was three months before my surgery).  The nurse practitioner told me to take 1000 per day. Which I have yet to do....I need to pick them up.

Valerie G.
on 3/10/13 10:59 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

It depends on which procedure you had and what your labs say.  If you have something like the sleeve or lapband and your body absorbs nutrients naturally, then an extra 400 - 1000 iu may be all you need.  If you have RNY or DS, then an extra 50,000 to 100,000 iu will likely be necessary (and it has to be dry - no gel capsules).  

It's important to know understand your labs because taking too much D can be toxic to your body.  Someone who does not malabsorb will put themself into considerable danger if they were to take the amounts of someone who does.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

poet_kelly
on 3/10/13 11:13 pm - OH

However much it takes to maintain a good level, as measured by your labs.  The Linus Pauling Institute says we need our vitamin D level to be at least 80.  I had RNY and I need to take 50,000 IU D3 three times a week to maintain a level around 100.  Most RNY folks I've talked to need at least 10,000 IU a day to maintain a level of 80 or above - I've known only two people that had good levels on 5000 IU a day.  Many need more than 10,000 IU a day.

southernlady5464
on 3/10/13 11:31 pm

And to prove your point...*I* have to take D3 50,000 every day along with an extra 50,000 twice a week to get up between 80/90. At just one D3 50,000 every day, mine was sitting at 57.

Each of us is different, that's for sure. That's why learning to read our own labs is so important.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active