Self-payers: why did you choose Mexico or local?

christine500
on 6/11/13 1:54 am

I am curious why some self-payers choose Mexico/local over the other.

I am currently looking at my options and have narrowed it down to two:

1: Dr Aceves in Mexico ($8700 for the VSG, with an extra $1400 if I want post op 90 day complication insurance)

2: Dr McKinley locally  in SLC, UT ($15400 whi*****ludes 90 day complication insurance and 1 year follow up care)

Which is the better option?  What have self payers decided to do and why?  Did those of you who went to Mexico only make that decision based on cost? Or is Dr Aceves one of the best doctors out there?

What happens if you have complications 30 days out, will you be able to find care in the US if you had surgery in Mexico?  I know the stats Dr Aceves gives you (he has only had 3 leaks, and 2 of those were in revision surgeries....but were those immediately after surgery or does that include any leaks up to a year out?).  

Please help me make my decision by giving your input.

macshellabell
on 6/11/13 2:48 am

I chose Mexico for two reasons 1) wait time in my part of Canada is years long and 2) the price in Mexico was reasonable

MsBatt
on 6/11/13 3:18 am

Dr. Aceves has an excellent reputation as a Sleeve surgeon. I've never heard of Dr. McKinley, not that that means much.

I had the DS, and my (local) surgeon RETIRED six months later. I've never needed to see him for follow-up---my PCP orders all my labs, and *I* track them and tell her if I need to change anything.

Jennifer39
on 6/11/13 7:29 am
I'm traveling from MA to Michigan due to insurance excluding ALL obesity related procedures. (They won't even pay for a nut. Grrrr)
Dr. Pleatman received many amazing reviews on this website actually and he has a great out of state patient program.
I'll be getting RNY in July and its right under 14k all inclusive. My flight and hotel and car for two people was only $1,500.
I think his sleeve was around 11-12k
He also suggests you arrange follow up appointments with a local surgeon for after care. His staff seems very friendly and more than happy to answer all questions you may have.
I'd definitely check him out!

http://www.drpleatman.com/

aliekat
on 6/11/13 11:02 am

I am very impresed with the work in mexico but my main concern was the distance.I looked around and even though i am hispanic and speak spanish i am going to North Carolina. Dr. heider is based there and has excellent credentials. the cost is at 12,000. i researched him and there were great reviews on his work and his bedside manner. He personally called me after my phone inquiry and I felt comfortable talking to him. I avery impresed with the work in mexico my only  concern was the distance. I am going alone and have to travel back alone so a one our flight ( to baltimore) was much more attractive than the trip to texas and then mexico.

Alex

Disclaimer, I am a doctor but I do not play one on tv nor have I stayed at a holiday inn express, so the coments are only my experience and should not be construed as more than that.frown

Disclaimer: Although I am a doctor, I do not play one on TV, nor have I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.  I've done a lot of additional research on WLS issues but am not qualified to give medical advice over the internet.  I'm happy to share my research with you, but you should see an acting professional if you want real medical advice.enlightened

christine500
on 6/11/13 11:57 am

Thank you all for your replies.  I think this helps me make a decision as to where I am going to go.  :)

linzeelee
on 6/12/13 1:07 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

I was confident in Dr. Aceves' low complication rate. Plus he's done SO MANY procedures. He's more experienced than any local doctors. So it was a risk I was willing to take.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

sunny_disposition
on 6/12/13 2:31 am - Miami, FL
VSG on 01/28/13

I chose to self pay at home (Miami, FL).  It was $16,500, and includes all doctors visits, surgery fees, and nutrition counseling for two years.  I was more comfortable staying close to home, and liked that I could come into the office whenever I liked.   I was grateful to have my family nearby, without having to worry about them (or me!) traveling to another country.  

christine500
on 6/12/13 3:35 am
On June 12, 2013 at 9:31 AM Pacific Time, sunny_disposition wrote:

I chose to self pay at home (Miami, FL).  It was $16,500, and includes all doctors visits, surgery fees, and nutrition counseling for two years.  I was more comfortable staying close to home, and liked that I could come into the office whenever I liked.   I was grateful to have my family nearby, without having to worry about them (or me!) traveling to another country.  

This is the route I have decided to take as well, sunny-disposition.  I know many of the Mexican doctors are well qualified, and quite a bit less money.  However, some discomforts kept nagging at me.  I like the convenience of having my surgeon nearby.  While complication rates are low, still 40% of all people will experience some complication that requires contact with their surgeon (skin infection, rashes, discomfort, questions regarding diet, etc).  I want to have an ongoing relationship with my surgeon, and feel confident that I can go to him should I have questions or complications.  I also like that my local surgeon has a BLISS-type insurance that covers any complication for 90 days post surgery.  This is big to me, because while complications are rare, when they DO occur they can be financially devastating.

I also was highly uncomfortable that after sending in a 10 question form, I was cleared for surgery with Dr Aceves.  Seriously?

I know we are all different in our willingness to take risks, or our willingness to think outside the box.  I am not a risk taker.  I am also one who tends to worry about little things and pains, and treasure the opportunity to discuss them in person with my surgeon after surgery.  That  and the BLISS insurance is worth the extra $6K to me.

Now, had I been my sister I would have been in Mexico already.  She is all about taking risks and savings and thinks I am silly for not going there. 

sunny_disposition
on 6/12/13 3:44 am - Miami, FL
VSG on 01/28/13

A 10-question form? That's it?? I've never heard of such a thing, crazy!  I'm glad you decided with what you're more comfortable with, that's so important.  Best of luck to ya! 

Most Active