iron

kateyeburger
on 7/24/13 5:40 am - mineral ridge, OH

are we supposed to take iron ferrous or gluconate?

hukunamatata

' HE  WHO  HESITATES  IS  LUNCH'
poet_kelly
on 7/24/13 5:57 am - OH

There are many types of iron, including ferrous sulfate, ferrous gluconate, ferrous fumerate, and carbonyl iron.  There is no iron just called "ferrous."  All the ferrous types have another word after ferrous.

The ASMBS doesn't specify what type of iron  WLS patients need to take.  They  just specify how much elemental iron we need.

I like carbonyl iron myself, because it's absorbed well even without a lot of stomach acid and because it usually does not cause constipation.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Watson
on 7/24/13 6:46 am
VSG on 06/08/10 with

Since I have minor anemia/low iron count (might be caused from my VSG surgery over time) my doctor told me to take "Nature Made Iron 65 mg Equivalent to 325 mg Ferrous Sulafte" (two tables a day {I take it in the evening}). After awhile my doctor told also take a chewable (one chewable tablet a day {I take in the evening}) or liquid vitamin C 500 mg. The vitamin C helps absorbs iron in your system. I am taking the iron now for about a year to a year-and-a-half now and the vitaming for about a year. Ask you doctor which one you should take, he/she would know the best for you question.

Highest Weight: 565 pounds (around 1999), Highest BMI: 94

Pre-op Weight: 476.40 pounds (2 weeks before {05/25/2010} VSG surgery), Pre-op BMI: 79.3

Lowest Weight: 153.5 pounds (as of 07/10/2013), Lowest BMI: 25.5

Current Weight: 350.75546 pounds (351 lb 0 oz./159.1 kilograms (as of 04/22/2019), Current BMI: 58.3

berilynn44
on 7/25/13 6:06 am - MN

Depending on what type of surgery you had- I had roux en y and my surgeon told me the only way to truly get enough iron is an iv infusion.  I had my first almost a year ago and I still feel great and my hemoglobin is at 15. 

poet_kelly
on 7/25/13 10:25 pm - OH

I don't think that's true.  I know many RNY patients that have good iron levels without getting infusions and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery doesn't recommend infusions, just oral iron.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active