gastric sleeve & medicare HELP!!!

wcumom1
on 7/30/13 8:27 am

I have a friend i have gone to a few support group meetings with.  She interested  in the gastric sleeve.  I had RNY.  Her only insurance is medicare.  She is over 35 BMI and has high blood pressure.  One meeting said medicare pays 80% another meeting said they do not pay at all.  So, I am wondering if anyone on here has/had medicare that has had the gastric sleeve if so, what if any help can you give for her?? 

poet_kelly
on 7/30/13 11:14 am - OH

Medicare DOES cover the sleeve and they pay 80% of most things, including surgery.   She should check her Medicare booklet or call the number on her Medicare card for more information.

Now, if she has a Medicare Advantage Plan instead of Medicare Parts A and B, her coverage may be different.  Again, she should call the number on her card for more information.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wcumom1
on 7/30/13 12:17 pm

i thought they did, the bariatric scheduling nurse said so, but my friend called medicare and they said they didnt.  The bariatric nurse said that the sleeve was approved not long ago.  So i am thinking who ever she spoke with did not know what was going on. 

poet_kelly
on 7/30/13 12:19 pm - OH

It was approved over a year ago.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mokee
on 7/30/13 9:58 pm - OH
I am from southern Ohio. I had the sleeve nov. 2012. Medicare paid for mine. I also have BCBS and they picked up the rest. It was finally passed to include the sleeve in June 2012. The insurance coordinator should be able to give her a answer. Did she question the two different answers in the meeting? I also called Medicare back then and they never heard of the sleeve. Typical government agency.

VSG  12-28-2012

Most Active