9 years Post-Op Roux-en-Y with SO many questions

Capulus
on 7/27/14 10:33 pm - Little Rock, AR

1.) I think I have Reactive Hypoglycemia, is this serious or is it okay for me to just control it by diet?

2.) I had a S**T surgeon (Eldo Frezza MD) and I don't even really know what he did to me surgically.  I know I had a Roux-en-Y, but I have no idea if my pouch is completely separated from my stomach, if he used banding with the RNY...

3.)I am regaining, and NEVER got below 200lbs from the surgery.  I froze after about 60lbs and stayed there for years.  Then in 2011 I went extremely low carb and managed to get down to 180-ish, but I can't keep it off and am now floating right around the 200 mark.  Are there qualifications for a revision like there are for the original surgery (BMI #s, certain # of co-morbidities)

4.) Do all surgeons charge a non-insurance covered "transfer" fee to take on the a patient who used to have a different surgeon?  Even if I wanted to go back to Frezza, I couldn't bc he moved (after several lawsuits and a death) and doesn't really practice bariatrics anymore, and bc I am in a different state a very far distance from him.

5.) I had to do all of this alone.  I separated from my husband in August of 2006.  Though I still was covered by military insurance until our divorce in 2008, I never saw Frezza again after my two/three month follow-up.  I didn't have the money to travel to Lubbock, TX from where we lived bc I was trying to support myself and 2 kids without his help. (friggin lawyer told him not to pay any child support until our divorce was finalized)  Frezza Wouldn't see me anyway w/out insurance.

6.) I never feel hungry...ever.  I also have anemia (Iron) problems and lack B12, Vit D if I am not on supplements, which I didn't realize I needed to have monitored (Hello, terrible follow-up care)

I am so glad I got back on here and realized that I am not the only one.  I've been doing a ton of research and reading studies published about the surgery and really am getting mad about my lack of care and doctor involvement after surgery.  I can't even get a hold of my records about it so a new surgeon can see what was done and how things progressed.  I am frustrated and need friends.  If I do manage to get a revision or even to just get in to a surgeon and find a community of people who are dealing with this stuff, locally, I am going to definitely be a part of it.  I had NO ONE the first time round.

DawnMillington
on 7/28/14 1:48 am - CT

Hello there Capulus!  I'm 10 years out and having some of the same problems as you poor follow up care  bad vitamin dificiencies which are finally being monitored.  I went through the divorce post op and all that happy crap, I understand about a regain mine was from a migraine med my dr gave me which brought me about 40 or so lbs.  I'm sorry I can't answer any of your questions but I just wanted to say I understand and your not alone   Big hugs and keep your chin up sister! 

Capulus
on 7/28/14 2:38 am, edited 7/28/14 9:53 pm - Little Rock, AR

Thanks Dawn,

I have done so much research this time around and I am just astonished by how much I wasn't told.  Then to find out my surgeon has moved three or four times, and is basically in hiding regarding Bariatrics.  He left his job at the hospital I went to in a big to do about a patient death and several lawsuits.  Now he has a "General Surgery" practice in southern Texas and the website doesn't even mention bariatrics as something he has history doing.  I called there to see if he had my records, bc they are no where to be found, and his office manager actually had to ask other people in the office if he still did bariatrics.  She came back and told me that yes, he does but SERIOUSLY!!!

I've seen several reports on here of Band patients who have gone in and it was found that he hadn't even put the band on, it was floating next to their stomachs.  

I know some of all this is my fault, but I was 25 and miserable unhealthy.  I trusted him.  No I am trying to see a new person just to get things back on track bc I am out of school, settled, and have super great insurance but no doc will take me without my prior surgical records and a "transfer" fee ($300-#500) that is not covered by insurance.

I'm feeling defeated, but he doesn't get to win.  :)  Thanks for friending me. 

DawnMillington
on 7/28/14 7:05 am - CT

I researched for at least 3 years before I had my surgery and I didn't know about a lot of the things that have happened since!  My dr doesn't do my surgery anymore either.  I can understand how you would be feeling defeated but perhaps just take a few minutes to breathe and go back at it again

Capulus
on 7/28/14 9:55 pm - Little Rock, AR

WOW! I really am not alone!  What type of surgery did you have and have you had revision or needed it?  I feel almost like I am obsessed with fixing my lack of knowledge back then.  I am constantly reading and making calls.  Last night I took a break and worked on my quilting.  It was refreshing, to say the least. :)

DawnMillington
on 7/29/14 5:40 am - CT

I had the RNY, haven't had a revision and I don't know if I need one since I too am trying to find a dr to see me.  I am back at OH to try to get more info and see if I can find others who may be going through what I am going through. I'm a member of multiple groups and I check all of them about 6 times a day lol!  That's very cool that you quilt, I crochet lol!  It's very relaxing and it's nice when you have to put all of your focus into something and you can clear your mind. I've always wanted to try quilting but I'm just not sure I could focus long enough.  

DawnMillington
on 7/29/14 5:43 am - CT

5 minutes feels like an hour most times and my eyes are shot!  I took a mosiac class with my sister and 2 hours felt like 5 years!  Even with my glasses I thought for sure my vision was gone forever lol!

Capulus
on 7/29/14 6:11 am - Little Rock, AR

Quilting the way I quilt is simple.  I plug in ear plugs and watch(listen to) netflix while I work. lol

I had a Roux-en-y in June of 2005, no regrets, but I am ALL about education, now!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/28/14 2:44 am - OH

No, not all surgeons charge a "transfer fee" (what a BS concept!!!) to take on another surgeon's patient.  They are often reluctant to take on someone who is within the first year or so after surgery and having complications, but I have not personally heard of anyone getting turned away from a surgeon when they are many years out.  Call around to your local surgeons office and just ask them if they will see a RNY patient who is 10 years out.

Explain that you and your surgeon are no longer in the same place and you are having issues with weight.  Don't bad mouth your OLD surgeon to the new surgeon or his/her office, though, because that tends to scare new doctors (they may flag you as a chronic complainer or someone likely to file a lawsuit)!

The first thing you need to do is to get a surgeon and probably have an EGD done to scope out your pouch and stoma to see what is going on.  It doesn't really matter if they completely separated the pouch from the remnant stomach, but I would suggest contacting the hospital where you had surgery and getting a copy if the operative report.  That will tell you (and your new surgeon) what you need to know about the original surgery.

Yes, there are always some type of requirements for qualifying for a revision, but -- as with the initial qualifications -- that varies by insurance policy.  Some policies, though, have a "once a lifetime" limitation on bariatric surgery.

Good luck!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Capulus
on 7/28/14 3:59 am, edited 7/28/14 4:01 am - Little Rock, AR

****ro, (LOVE the name)

All of the surgeons in this area charge one.  I've called everyone.  And I just recently contacted the Surgical Center where I had my surgery adn they said they will send me what they have (Now that I have sent them my ID and such...I love HIPPA. :) ) My former surgeon doesn't actually need me to bad mouth him, lol he's got a pretty "good" reputation going around that he set up all by himself. :) I have my PCM setting me up for an EGD and an Upper GI w/ Follow Through.  

The insurance I have now didn't cover my surgery 10 years ago.  My ex-husband's military insurance did.  So i am hoping that will be a good thing in regards to insurance rather than a bad thing.  

Even if I don't end up needing or qualifying for a revision, I am just really looking forward to having a Bariatric doctor taking care of me.  It'll be nice to finally have someone help me instead of not knowing anything about someone with a stomach and digestive system like mine.  

(For some reason it is astrixing out your name...?)

Most Active