EATING???

TexasLady52
on 8/11/14 6:19 am
Revision on 06/10/14

Nine weeks out and I still cannot eat.  I may can eat one day and then it will be several days before I can eat again.  One thing I have discovered is that I cannot eat anything with spice????  I have always loved spicey food, but just plain black pepper just sets my stomach on fire??  I made squash casserole and baked boneless chicken thighs yesterday.....all I could taste was black pepper....just one bite and that was all I could handle.  I have been on a long stall......was told I was not drinking enough water and not eating enough.  I cannot drink anything at least 30 minutes before I eat and at least 30-45 minutes after I eat. So it is either eat or drink?  Been trying real hard to get my water and protein in, but I just cannot eat???  NUT said I should be eating at least a half cup by now.....but that is not happening ... the only thing I can handle is soup???  Any suggestions???

Kate -True Brit
on 8/11/14 6:59 am - UK

What were you revised from and revised to?

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

TexasLady52
on 8/11/14 7:02 am
Revision on 06/10/14

I had stomach stapling in 1980.  All of the staples had come out and I had two complete stomachs.  I was told when I had my endiscope that was why I could never lose weight and never would until I had it fix.  Dr. said she did a combination of a sleeve and a DS.  I had a lot of repairs and scar tissue.

Valerie G.
on 8/11/14 7:10 am, edited 8/11/14 7:10 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'd like to pat your head and tell you everything's going to be okay, but instead I'm going to give it to you straight.

You should be drinking 64oz and getting at 60-100g of protein by now.  I can assure you that you will get no pleasure in eating at all.  It is your job to keep nourished - no ifs ands or butts...no excuses.  If you can't tolerate food now, fine - drink shakes.  If whey doesn't sit well with you, try soy or egg white protein.  Wait a couple of weeks and try something again.  Most get new sensitivity to lactose, but spices aren't as common - taste and flavor preference changes are VERY common.

You won't heal well or feel like yourself until you start doing this as a minimum daily.  By Sept 10, you should be getting 90-100g of protein daily, food or shakes.  You need to do this.  Come get acquainted to the DSers out on the Duodenal Switch board.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

TexasLady52
on 8/11/14 7:36 am
Revision on 06/10/14

I have started getting all of my protein in.  I get in at least 100 if not more.  I started using Genepro and it was a life saver.  I was to the point that I could not gag down another protein shake.  I put a tablespoon of it in everything I drink ( I have had 125 today)!  I try to eat different things and my stomach just does not like it.  Like I said the only that I can tolerate is soup and not everyone that I have tried..mostly creamy ones.  Got my 64 oz of water in for the first time yesterday!    ..... but if I drink all of my water and protein......then I cannot eat!  Thanks for your reply!

Valerie G.
on 8/11/14 7:46 am, edited 8/11/14 7:48 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Every day is a new day.  Just keep trying.

Since you're uber-sensitive to food, try only eating food that can be smooshed with a fork.  You don't necessarily have to smoo**** before eating, but it's a tenderness measure for you.  You want it tender and you want it moist.  You want gravy, sauce, and butter to make it sit in your stomach easier.  (if they told you to eat low-fat, ignore them).  Stay away from chicken breast for a while, and when ready, try a roasted thigh instead.  Dark sits easier than white meat.  Think crock-pot, slow roasted.  That's your step up from the soup bowl.

Congrats on the fluids.  It took me so many different flavors and temperatures to find something that "didnt suck" (I'd given up on anything tasting good).  For me, it was green koolaid.

Another favorite protein punch for me is ricotta cheese.  You can cover with tomato sauce and cheese and bake like a noodleless lasagna, or you can mix with instant SF pudding and a touch of cream for a pudding treat.  Ricotta has 7g of protein in a tiny 1/4 cup.  Egg custard was another easy-eat and easily modified to be SF

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

hollykim
on 8/11/14 8:26 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

since you have a sleeve you really don't have to stop drinking 30 min beforehand you eat. Your pyloric valve opens immediately when liquid**** your sleeve and liquids pass right on through.

many surgeons give their sleeve patients RNY instructions because they are too lazy to make instructions especially for sleeves. If you drink right on up until you take your first bite,that adds a lot of time to your day to get your fluid and food in. And like Valerie says,it doesn't really matter of it tastes good or not. Food is now primarily for fuel.

poet_kelly
on 8/11/14 12:34 pm - OH

There is really no reason for RNY patients to stop drinking 30 minutes before they eat, either.  Since they have no pyloric valve, liquids go right through.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MsBatt
on 8/11/14 8:42 am

Okay, time for a few questions. First and foremost, who did your surgery? There aren't a lot of surgeons out there who do the DS, and most of the vets know them and their methods. Knowing who did your surgery might help us help you.

Do you have a copy of your surgical notes? If not---GET ONE. Revisions tend to be more 'custom' than first-time surgeries. If you can copy and paste your surgical notes here, we'll have a better understanding of exactly what your anatomy is like now.

The DS ALWAYS has a Sleeved stomach, plus an intestinal bypass somewhat similar to that of an RNY. If it doesn't have both of these, then it's not really a DS. Again, the more we know, the more we can help you.

Val's completely right in that you will NOT feel better until you can keep yourself well hydrated. It's good to hear that you managed to get your 64 ounces---now start aiming higher. (*grin*)

Are you taking anything for nausea? If not, ask for something. It will help, a lot.

Kate -True Brit
on 8/11/14 7:05 am - UK

Outside my area of experience. Hope someone comes along to help you; if they don't, try posting on the VSG board. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active