Consultation next week what to expect?

NikkyBeauty
on 9/12/14 9:41 am - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

I'm very excited that things are moving along now In my process it's been 6 months since Ive first asked my dr about WLS being a possible option and it feels like I'm finally getting somewhere now, I just hope I don't hit any speed bumps but anywho, my first consultation with the surgeon is on Thursday I'm excited and nervous because I don't know what to expect I have a strong feeling I'm going to be put on a pre-op diet because of my current weight, I know my insurance doesn't require the 6 month dr supervised diet so IMO I believe I'm going to have to lose weight up until my surgery date. Anyways what should I expect from the surgeon? Is he going to be the person doing my surgery? Are there any road blocks I should expect? I know I need a psyc evaluation,dietitian/nutritionalist,labs etc... and this particular surgeon requires an endoscopy (not very excited about that) but other than that, should I expect anything else? can anyone share their experiences from the consultation stage on... Thanks  

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

Bubbles314
on 9/12/14 2:23 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I can't speak for all patients experience.  At my Surgeons appt. we talked about what surgery I was interested in.  I thought the sleeve, the Doc said he did not think that was a good choice (acid reflux and the amount of weight I want to lose) I should get the RNY.  I also had to get the upper gi, I had 3 Dietition appointments, a Psych eval, and lab tests.  The month before surgery I see a Cardiologist, my PCP, the Surgeon again and more lab tests and if all goes well and none of my Dr's have an issue with this and your insurance pays he does the surgery.  I also have pre op diet of protein shakes for 3 weeks.

Just a note I could not find a lot of info on my Dr on line.  I brought in a list of questions that I got from people on OH and I asked him all them. ons.  He answered all of them and did not laugh.  Here is a few:

How long have you been doing this surgery?  How many RNY?

How many leaks, problems with patients directly related to surgery? stricture?

What is your mortality rate?

What is your patient success rate?

What do I do in an emergency?

You get the picture.  I also asked if I could talk to any of his patients that have had the surgery, he directed me to the support groups.

Hope this helps.  Good luck in the process, like I said earlier they(Dr's) are all different as are the pre and post op liquid diets.

NikkyBeauty
on 9/13/14 4:30 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Thank you for sharing your experience! I like to have a general knowledge of what to look forward to with the consult! But luckily for me, the surgeon has a website and patient testimonials online, plus he answered a lot of those question in the seminar! So it seems like we're going to discuss what surgery I want and the course of action I need to take to get it! I have a lot if questions to ask him as well I'm so excited and thank you again!

Nicole H.
on 9/13/14 1:19 am

Hey girl! I just had my consultation on the 10th. I had a zillion questions for my doctor but when we began talking he seemed to answer all of them lol On Friday I had to get an Upper GI test and I have appointments to see my PULM doc and a nutritionist all after I return from vacation( I told my fiancé this is my last vacation wearing a sz 26 bathing suit lol). I am having a hard time finding a psychologist in my area that will bill my insurance directly but I'm still searching. 

I gave been considering WLS for a few months now & I'm so excited that I finally took the step to a healthy life. 

NikkyBeauty
on 9/13/14 4:33 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Good for you hun and congrats! I know how excited you are because seems like were at about the same stage and I'm super stoked!! But good luck on your journey and thank you for sharing!!

Most Active