How surgery alters our thinking.

Kate -True Brit
on 12/3/14 4:27 am - UK

i am in the maintenance phase not the losing one but I am being very careful so that I can be more relaxed over Christmas.

here in the UK, it is 8 in the evening and I have been a bit cross with myself today because I ate out with friends at lunchtime, had an extra skinny latte, tried several of the Christmas goodies I have been baking. So I decided to do a really rigorous calorie check, something I rarely do, 

All that cheating and subsequent angst and it turns out I ate .....drum roll..... 1400 calories!

Before surgery, that would have felt like a starvation diet! Instead I feel boated and over-full!

(To put it in context, even when losing, I never went under 1-1200 calories a day)

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Cathy W.
on 12/3/14 5:15 am

You are so right.  When I "overeat" now it is much different than it was pre-op and even a couple of years post-op. 

What you're describing is one of those small changes that happens from modifying our lifestyle long-term. 

Thanks for pointing it out and the reminder.  It is definitely something to appreciate.

Grim_Traveller
on 12/3/14 5:56 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It's amazing what a small amount of food can make us feel like a pig now, compared to before surgery.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Han Shot First
on 12/3/14 10:00 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Now that is a very cool victory!  Awesome!

I'm only a couple of months out from surgery, but now that I log my food each day, I can't believe how much I used to eat.  4000 calorie days were very normal.  And 2000 would feel like starving.  Now, I hit 1000 normally, and that's about it.  

--

150 lost and maintaining!

White Dove
on 12/3/14 10:45 pm - Warren, OH

This proves that you have learned good habits and know how to eat to stay at your goal.  It is easy to learn how to overeat again.  Sometimes people ask me why I eat so little and I tell them it is because I chose to eat that way.  I could eat more if I wanted to.  It would be uncomfortable at first, but gradually become normal for me.

I have seen many people outeat their surgeries.  Congratulations on proving that this can be done, even years later.  Your tool is working for you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kate -True Brit
on 12/3/14 11:00 pm - UK

White Dove, I completely agree!  These days I can cheat my surgery by eating cakes, cream, chocolate etc.. But with the best will in the world, I can't eat much of them!  Not because my band stops me, it doesn't! But because I feel bloated and stuffed!  But, as you say, if I did it regularly, I would find it easier and easier! 

But newcomers to surgery need to realise that it can take a long time and a lot of will power to get to the stage we have managed to reach, 

JenniPenny
on 12/5/14 5:05 am - MN

It's Christmas, you realize what  you did wrong and as long as you don't do it every day, you won't regain all of your weight.We have  this surgery to be healthy and develop new eating habits. It seems like you've done that EXCEPT for ONE day. DOn't be so hard on yourself, It happens and keeps us honest. You'll be more careful in the future and will enjoy your new lifestyle more if you're not in that "I'm deprived" thinking  mode. Remember how good the Latte and treats were and next time just say no. I know what you mean, 1400 calories even for me now if a filling day.

Jen RNY 2001

Kate -True Brit
on 12/5/14 5:13 am, edited 12/5/14 5:17 am - UK
On December 5, 2014 at 1:05 PM Pacific Time, JenniPenny wrote:

It's Christmas, you realize what  you did wrong and as long as you don't do it every day, you won't regain all of your weight.We have  this surgery to be healthy and develop new eating habits. It seems like you've done that EXCEPT for ONE day. DOn't be so hard on yourself, It happens and keeps us honest. You'll be more careful in the future and will enjoy your new lifestyle more if you're not in that "I'm deprived" thinking  mode. Remember how good the Latte and treats were and next time just say no. I know what you mean, 1400 calories even for me now if a filling day.

Jen RNY 2001

Oh, heavens! I'm not upset, guilty, hard on myself!  I just find it really funny that I find I felt I ate like a pig but it was only 1400 calories! And I really didn't do anything "wrong" - that's not how I live my life! I eat a normal diet -  today, I just ate more than usual. But that is absolutely fine! Not a big deal at all!

Most Active