600lb. life

NYMom222
on 4/7/15 11:17 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I know some of you follow the 600lb. life TV show. I just saw an update on WLSFA- Weight Loss Surgery Foundation of America Facebook page from Christina one of the people from the show. She was one of the really young ones. The pics are amazing if you go look and this is what she said:

Transformation Tuesday
I had gastric bypass 7-23-13
HW 708
CW 190
Total lost in 20 months 518 lbs.
I did have a panniculectomy with Lymphedema and hernia removal June 11th 2014. Hands down the best decision of my life!

pretty amazing right? Nice to see someone from the show doing well.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Sarahlicious
on 4/7/15 11:45 am - Portsmouth, OH

Glad she is doing well....

However, she didn't have lymphedema removal...the show completely misrepresents what lymphedema is and how it is treated. Lymphedema is a condition, it cannot be removed, excess skin or tissue caused from lymphedema can be removed...same as a hernia is not removed...it's repaired. The doctor on the show is always talking about lympehdema as a thing, and removing "it"...very irritating. Rarely do I ever see a person on the show get actual compression treatment for their lymphedema. 

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

NYMom222
on 4/7/15 2:12 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Actually when you said that I kinda agreed, but then I went to Mayo Clinic website- my favorite website for medical things- and under treatments they said "In cases of severe lymphedema, your doctor may consider surgery to remove excess tissue in your arm or leg to reduce swelling." Obviously these cases are extreme....

Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

Save

Save

Sarahlicious
on 4/7/15 2:18 pm - Portsmouth, OH

Yes, removing the tissue but that's not removing lymphedema, lymphedema is the condition and will have to be managed for life, and while Mayo Clinic might be knowledgeable in many things, lymphedema is not really one or at least not all the possible causes of lymphedema and treatments...they don't even mention lipedema on their website and it was discovered there in 1940.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

NYMom222
on 4/8/15 11:42 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes, Mayo Clinic doesn't say it cures it....

Save

Save

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/7/15 10:19 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

On one of the older specials they did before it became a regular series they had a person I honestly can't remember what sex who was in the hospital for a year. They were using some kind of experimental drug that was supposed to drain the fluids from their leg. I am not sure if you ever saw that one.

Sarahlicious
on 4/8/15 2:26 am - Portsmouth, OH

I've seen it....was very disturbing. Manual lymph massage and compression wrapping are standard protocol, sometimes a compression pump. The information is out there if doctors care to look to find it.

zann50
on 4/8/15 12:35 am

Sarahlicious...thank you for sharing your knowledge of lymphedema.  I have been to the OH site for this medical disorder and noted your posts.  Considering it is a life-long issue, how did WLS improve it?  Thank you for sharing this "not discussed much" condition.

Zann

VGS- 2015

Sarahlicious
on 4/8/15 2:24 am - Portsmouth, OH

Losing weight takes pressure off the lymphatic system. With lymphedema it is recommended to try and keep your weight near normal, of course lymphedema has several causes, primary and secondary, cancer related, non-cancer related. And of course the lymph fluid weighs a lot itself, so some of a person excess weight is actually from the lymphedema. The best plan of action is to have both compression therapy while undergoing any weight loss attempts. Having the large pannus putting pressure on the groin area, which is where a lot of lymph node are located. So WLS can improve the lymphedema, some patients have a lot easier time managing it might not wear compression and be fine, others maybe not.

zann50
on 4/8/15 5:24 am

Again, thank you for sharing information.  My only experience with lymphedema are patients post mastectomy.  So, my understanding is this condition requires a lifetime of vigilant therapy and is not corrected by WLS only improved to some degree and must include a commitment to compression therapy as well.

Zann

VGS- 2015

Most Active