Nine years (bar 10 days!)

Kate -True Brit
on 5/13/15 2:09 am - UK

A week early. But I was bored so wrote this anyway

Well, nine years ago I weighed 248lbs at 5' 4" tall and 55 years of age. I didn't have any significant co-morbidities except moderately high blood pressure (which had to be controlled by meds) but my knees ached, walking was not enjoyable, even going upstairs was an effort. I felt lethargic and bloated all the time, I seemed to have a constant mild headache and had bad migraines every month or so. I was ashamed of my size. My all-time highest weight was around 290 and I had lost around 40lbs by a calorie-controlled diet a couple of years earlier and kept it off but I was starting to lose control again.

Fast forward 15 months and I weighed under 140lbs, was full of energy, starting to do 5k runs, enjoying mountain walks and very active holidays. I felt healthy, headaches were a rarity, my knees etc felt fine. OK so I haven't stayed under 140lbs, but I didn't want to be! It made me look older than my then 56 years. Now at 64, I am perfectly happy around 160. I now consider this my mid-range point; a comfort zone of between 155 and 165.

I still love food but I am no longer obsessed by it. I no longer plan my days in advance around eating. If I am busy, I forget to eat; if I am not occupied, I get the same urges to eat I always did! But rarely the physical hunger. Yesterday was a very busy day and when I sat down to eat at around 6 in the evening, I realised all I had had all day was a medium skinny latte for breakfast.

But on quiet days, I still need all the will-power I can muster. And very often I fail!

The band gets bad press on here, and with reason! Some on OH have had horrendous experiences. But for me, it has done exactly what I hoped. It has never stopped me eating, rarely causes me even to bring food back up. If just helps me to eat more mindfully. And for me, that was all I needed. For many people, that would not be enough.

I don't deny the bad experiences people have had. Interestingly, those I know in real life, as opposed to on OH, have almost all had positive outcomes, I can't explain why this should be. I admit I have lost touch with some and others have not lost as much weight as they hoped. But only two out of around 50 have, as far as I know, had their bands removed and one of those freely admits she abused her band, keeping it ridiculously tight and deliberately regurgitating food so she could eat more. The other had non-band related medical issues.

I did have a leak at around 4 years out which required a surgical repair but it has been fine ever since. I have had three episodes of regain, twice gaining around 28lbs (sounds a rather exact figure but we measure weight in stones in the UK and 28lbs is 2 stone, so that's when panic sets in and I get back on track!). The third was 20lbs and I have lost most of that over the last two months.

Why has it worked for me and not for many? Who knows? Luck may well enter into it; the nature of my body, how it heals, reaction to an implant. Some follow every rule and still have awful complications. But I did and do everything I can to minimise risk. I had an excellent surgeon, good band education, excellent after-care. I don't follow every "rule" all the time as far as eating goes but I have always followed every medical instruction to the letter (post-op diet etc.).

I am also paranoid about being tight and have never had my band tight enough to physically make eating difficult. I probably have it loose enough for many people to find it insufficient help - but it is sufficient for me!

Will I be writing a post like this in a year's time? I have no idea! But all has gone well so far. And I am a glass-half-full kind of gal so hopefully I will be!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

birdiegirl
on 5/13/15 3:40 am

Great Post! 

You are proof that all surgeries work if there are no mechanical errors and you have your head in the game.

Big congrats Kate!

Tracy D.
on 5/13/15 6:35 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Kate - I love your posts and admire how active you are in you 60's.  I sure hope that I can maintain that kind of weight-loss success over the long run and that I will still aspire to being active and vital in another 10 years.  

Congratulations on your upcoming surgiversary! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Bette B.
on 5/13/15 6:39 am

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Kathy S.
on 5/13/15 11:06 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Congratulations!  Thanks Kate for all you do and your inspiration  The time you spend paying it forward is appreciated by us all

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

gram247
on 5/13/15 11:24 am

Wow! You are my idol. That is what I want to be able to say at the 9 year mark. 

I am 4 years out from VSG,  & lost 200 pounds. The surgeon thinks I could safely lose a few more if I want to, but I am happy just where I am.

Your attitude is an inspiration to me. Thanks for posting. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/13/15 12:07 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

What a great post!, thanks for sharing! Oh must be having some glitches, what happened to the like button? Well whatever, here's something. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

emelar
on 5/13/15 3:43 pm - TX

I thought I was losing my mind - the "Like" button is on every thread but Kate's!

emelar
on 5/13/15 3:43 pm - TX

Congratulations, Kate! 

Zee Starrlite
on 5/13/15 8:33 pm

Congrats Kate!  You've done a great job and I truly hope you got the lucky band and that it last a lifetime.

All best,

Layla😘

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active