3 months post op gallbladder removed 😱

NikkyBeauty
on 6/12/15 3:58 am - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

So I had my 3 months post op visit and everything was looking great I feel great, I'm happy and very satisfied! Haven't had any major troubled at all and no minor, since early early on its crazy how fast things are going I'm soon to be 4 months out! Anywhoo all my levels were good nothing abnormal I've lost 62lbs since surgery and a grand total of 116 pre and post op I'm feeling amazing and pushing forward all the way to goal and that's 150lbs. One thing that made me nervous was my surgeon said my gallbladder would have to be removed, not now but soon, in my shock of him saying something about another surgery I forgot to ask him why. So I'm wondering if this is normal? If so why not take it out during the intiale procedure and if it ain't broke..... U get the point so is this a routine thing with wls patients? Recovery was not easy for me and I don't want to have another surgery unless my life needs to be saved so is there anyway around this one, or does the gallbladder have to be removed??

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/12/15 4:07 am

GB gets removed only if it gives your trouble. Pain or other issues. 

Other than that - I would not have the surgery.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Tracy D.
on 6/12/15 8:32 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Congratulations on your first successful 4 months, Nikky!  You're doing great 

Maybe it's this doctor's experience that "most" post-bariatric patients end up with gallbladder issues and have to have it removed.  Maybe you'll have that problem...but maybe you won't.  

Don't let anyone (not even a doctor) talk you into having gallbladder removal that isn't absolutely, medically necessary.  Rememer, surgeons get paid to cut and it's something they love to do.  Don't let him bulldoze you.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

NikkyBeauty
on 6/12/15 12:37 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Thank you and I certainly won't be having another surgery unless its necessary! Although I've had some pain in my right side last month but it hasn't come back I asked him was that normal and he said so quick "it's your gallbladder I'm going to remove it" I'll talk to my primary care doctor hopefully they can give me a little more insight to if it should be removed or maybe they can check on it to see if things are ok.

Tracy D.
on 6/12/15 1:01 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Yeah....gallbladder pain doesn't usually present in the way you described.  Typically attacks will feel like you're having a friggin' heart attack with intense chest pain or like the WORST case of indigestion in your life.  Right side pain?  Not typical...at all.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

crystal M.
on 6/12/15 1:56 am, edited 6/12/15 1:58 am - Joliet, IL

I had mine removed a few years before WLS surgery. 

But funny thing was I was told years ago my Gallbladder was in bad condition when my regular doctor was reading an ultrasound for my uterus.  I had an internal ultrasound done and when he was looking at it he mentioned my gallbladder was full of stones and needed to come out.  He referred me to a surgeon. I was completely put off by this because I had no problems or pain associated with my gallbladder.  I of course ignored his suggestion.

3 years later I started to have problems.  It isn't pretty.  I was vomiting nonstop.  I mean, even the ER was giving medicine to stop the vomiting and that wasn't working.  The pain is horrible.  If I had it do over I would have taken the doctor's advice and saved myself some misery. 

If I were you go back and ask why he is suggesting you get you gallbladder out.  If it's just a preemptive measure (because quite a few WLS patients end up getting them).  Then I would maybe think twice.  But if he is seeing gallstones like my doctor did...then maybe you should think about it

NikkyBeauty
on 6/12/15 12:41 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Ok now that makes a lot more sense! Hopefully that doesn't happen to me but now I understand the concern! Thank you!

crystal M.
on 6/12/15 1:40 pm - Joliet, IL

Yes I agree with Tracy the pain was around the lower middle of my chest and it felt like someone was stabbing me, because the pain went all the way through to my back.  It was the worst.

Almost as bad as child birth...Almost...LOL!!! 

Heavens2Betsy
on 6/12/15 7:00 pm
RNY on 02/29/16

Your gallbladder will definitely tell you when it needs to come out.  You can't ignore the pain-it's that bad.  On the pain scale my gall bladder was a 10+ while natural childbirth was a 9 1/2.  The 3 biggest risks for gallbladder problems are the 3 F's... Forty, Fat and Female.  I had mine out at 38.  Usually they can yank it out laproscopically, but if happens to rupture, they may need to do an open procedure, which is MAJOR surgery.  So, I'd get a 2nd opinion and have them look at it with ultrasound.  If it's confirmed to be bad, then you can make an informed decision about having it removed and who should do it.  Good luck!

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

Most Active