1 month post-op. Question about caloric intake.

Mathew M.
on 7/21/15 8:40 pm

hi all,  I am exactly 1 month out from my VSG.  I was really lucky in that things went completely smoothly, I was up and on my feet in just a few hours, and have not had a single problem taking in my required liquids and protein since the very beginning.  Haven't thrown up even once, nor have I experienced any heart burn or indigestion.  I lost 22 pounds in the three months leading up to surgery, and have lost a whopping 26 in the month since.  All in all I am feeling f@#%'n amazing and wish I had done this years ago.

My question...I know that we should do everything we can to take advantage of the honeymoon stage.  I am still not on a completely full texture diet...still have 2 weeks of chopped foods to go.  Per day, I have been averaging between 75 and 90 grams of protein with a total caloric intake of between 650 and 750.   Does this sound right?  What were others doing during their first several months as they strove to meet their goals?  I am not hungry, which is amazing, and part of me feels like I could actually lower my caloric intake. 

I would love to hear from others their thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks.

49 years old, male.

5'11", HW:306, SW:284, CW:194.5, Goal:195lbs.VSG 6/19/15, Dr. Scott Cunneen at Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/21/15 9:16 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I think I averaged about 600 calories for the first few months, and bumped up to maybe 800 after 8 or 9 months.

I think the first few weeks, when you're not on "real" food yet, are a little harder to ballpark on calories. Make sure you're logging everything and keeping your carbs low, and keep a good eye on things as you progress to the normal stuff.

You've done a great job so far, keep it up!!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Mathew M.
on 7/21/15 9:28 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I log absolutely everything that passes my lips, so I am sure of my caloric intake.

I think I am a bit unlucky in a way in that I can eat pretty much anything on my list without any trouble at all.  No nausea at all.  I also don't really fill up, but on the other hand, i really feel no hunger.  

I'm keeping way low on carbs and fat, focussing on the protein.  But unlike others, I have no trouble at all eating enough to meet my protein goals.

Again, I'm doing in the high 600's in terms of daily calories.  

But if I cut down more on carbs and fat, and just went almost pure protein, I could probably cut another 100 calories.

Am I being obsessive?  Or should I stick with what I'm doing?

49 years old, male.

5'11", HW:306, SW:284, CW:194.5, Goal:195lbs.VSG 6/19/15, Dr. Scott Cunneen at Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles.

Rita I.
on 7/22/15 10:04 am - Canada

Hi Matthew,

I haven't had my surgery yet but don't we all have to worry about reducing the calorie intake too low that you body will hold on to everything you eat and you will plateau? We all want it today (trust me I do) but it sounds like you have been doing the right thing and doing amazing!

Grim_Traveller
on 7/23/15 5:34 am
RNY on 08/21/12

That is a total myth. Plateaus are common, but the less you eat, the more you will lose. Your body will not hold on to anything.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

NYMom222
on 7/22/15 12:09 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I think we re-evaluate what we are doing constantly on this journey. For now what you are doing seems to be working, you are following a protein forward diet and getting your fluids in. Sounds great. I would say I was doing 550-750 at your stage. You might be eating the same volume everyday but some foods have more calories for the same volume. Have exactly the same number of calories daily isn't necessary as long as you are keeping them low and you are still losing. Just realize stalls and small fluctuations may happen in the future and it doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong. Just part of the process. Congratulations, Great Job!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/15 2:59 am

I love the work you do on this particular; I was blown gone by 10 tips to boost your metabolism when I was researching my latest post.

visit here

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/15 10:37 pm

Most patients head home one or 2 days when laparoscopic bariatric surgery. You will feel a little worse the primary day reception, with a little additional fatigue and pain, however you ought to feel higher day by day at the moment.Here you may be supplied with phone numbers to access your Dr. and team members at any time. Ensure you have got these numbers offered and access to a phone in the slightest degree times. You may not be ready to drive when surgery, for as long as you're taking pain medication, usually for 10-14 days- ensure you have got members of the family to drive you home and offered to drive you back to the hospital within the 1st fortnight within the rare instance that a drag arises.

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/15 10:35 pm

I have ne'er been superb at moderation.  I suppose all folks suffer from that to a point or we have a tendency to would not be here, would we? I'm afraid to easily leave myself up to my very own devices because it were.  That has clearly not worked on behalf of me within the past. I even have become terribly dependent upon My fitness pal.  I log EVERYTHING that I eat, and that i set my goals in terms of percentages to create certain i am touching my macro molecule goal 1st, so do not go too so much on the fat and carbs.  It works all right on behalf of me.  I will verify my progress throughout the day on the Nutrition page so decide what foods i want to eat to hit my macro molecule goals and keep inside my crab and fat limits. I even have some smart work expertise with a Kannur taxi service and my words are clearly supported what I felt through such processes within the past.

Most Active